Practical practice plate

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Beginners like me need to practice. But practice plates might get boring after a while. So here's a good option - very cheap watch from Mini In The Box. It has a nice large front face and quite big sides too. Plus, you get 2 timezones :)

Here's my go at it.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Nicely done Vilts. Shame the watch faces have "quartz" on them, that's the real giveaway of a cheap watch. Did you remove the movements prior to engraving?

Thanks! Nope, didn't remove the movement, watch was too cheap to bother :). But I did open the back and had the movements just hanging there, so they wouldn't be crushed in the vice. But yes indeed, it's very cheap. What bothers me the most is that the dials are off center. Also on the site it was said that the case is made of stainless steel. It isn't.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Viljo,
Why are you calling yourself a beginner? Your work is way above a beginner. It's good to hear from you. Did you ever get you bluing salts going>?

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
So what was it like to cut Viljo? If you could swap out those faces for something else and change the strap it'd make a great steam punk watch.

It was actually quite pleasant to cut. It is some kind of alloy (pewter?), but not extremely soft. Kind of like aluminium, I guess.

Changing the faces would be an option indeed. Would make it bit prettier and also centered... Have to think about it.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Viljo,
Why are you calling yourself a beginner? Your work is way above a beginner. It's good to hear from you. Did you ever get you bluing salts going>?

Hey Glenn!

But I am a beginner. I guess I'll always be... Seeing what actually can be done and what I can do, there's a big gap there :)

Yep, I got the bluing finally figured out. Solution of NaOH, KNO3, H2O and 146 deg C. Very nice indeed.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Viljo That is a beautiful engraved watch you have shown us. You are definitely beyond a beginner. Most beginners are just trying to figure out how to sharpen gravers, hold work for engraving, getting some hand control etc. You have stepped beyond this and now at a point of improving you engraving abilities with every practice piece. Keep up the great work. by the way if you don't mind where did you purchase this watch I would like to get one and try my hand at it.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fine work my friend. You are no "beginner." After all you are the best engraver in Livonia! Also, to most of us, you are the most famous person in Estonia:biggrin:

Roger

Andrew Biggs

Very nice job, Vilts. Looks great!!

For the price these are excellent practice pieces and you end up with a very nice customised watch to wear when you're finished.......... Hey, engrave one for every day of the week at that price.

Cheers
Andrew

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, that is actually a nice idea, a watch for every day. Could be themed somehow too...

Bill, you can get the watch from Mini In The Box - Gemini Watch. Get a few :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks for posting your "practice piece" this belongs on a much more expensive watch !

Latest posts

Sponsors