Postage Stamp Engraving, it was hand engraving but no more

Mustafa Umut Sarac

I am collecting Swedish Polish engraver Slania s works nearly for 3 decades. He hand engraved 1000 postage stamps and banknotes in his life and closest to him was Frenzen and Jakus. Now they are all history and I chatted with the new ones , they found the easy way , make a giant drawing looking like a 1000 times microscoped stamp and draw like you really gives out that thinner wider and thinner curves with your 0.01mm pen and than scan it and send it to laser engraving. This is the biggest cheat at this art form.

Let me ask you , did you ever see a engraving on lasered steel and is laser head 5 axis or xy stuff ? I am not engraver but engraver in hand changes the angle to the steel. Right or left. How can a scanned drawing can have this information.

When searching at internet I found a engraver first started in UK with engraving with photoshop for UK Central Bank and Post Office , I never saw a more horrible , unworldly , baboon like portrait in all my life. I worked at prepress and Heidelberg Newspaper Machines and I did not see such a thing in my life.

How much good is laser engraving in stamp size ?
If the such thing equal to hand engraving , if you agree, I want to lase my drawings in postage stamp size. Who can do it and to what price?

When the big size for example A3 Size drawing , you can not see the proportional errors. But when it goes small , pandoras box opened and you have a ugly stamp. And I think stamp art managers found this also , more and more highly saturated digital photographs goes on the stamps.

European people are like investors, they go for the what is the newest ? They dont think , they buy every new iphone and if the laser new , lets buy it.

Umut
Istanbul

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome mustafa. you're absolutely correct. the hand work done to produce stamps of days gone by were true works of art. i don't know about your country, but here in the us the art done to produce stamps could hardly be called art. the same is true of our coinage. the coins produced here today are far inferior to those produced in years gone by.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
welcome mustafa. you're absolutely correct. the hand work done to produce stamps of days gone by were true works of art. i don't know about your country, but here in the us the art done to produce stamps could hardly be called art. the same is true of our coinage. the coins produced here today are far inferior to those produced in years gone by.
Hey Monk,
follow the money, and just about everyone in a hurry and going nowhere fast. Quick & dirtyand cheap.
kent

Sponsors