Post photographs of engraving

survtech

Hello, and thank you for admitting me to your portal.

I am not an engraver but I love the works of hand engravers and support them when I can afford to.

Is it appropriate to post photographs of work done for me on firearms and knives?

Kind regards to all
Mike
Perth
Western Australia

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
wselcome to the forum. i think such would be quite appropriate. dont forget to send closeups. mosst of us like to see the real details along with the overall fotos.

survtech

I many hand engraved firearms. Should I show antiques here? I acquired a pair of pistols made by, arguably, the best gunmaker of all-time, Nicholas-Nöel Boutet, gunmaker to Napoleon. I acquired a pair of very plain pistols made and signed by Boutet in about 1810. I decided that if I was going to spend nose-bleed money on hand engraving it should be on something valuable and important to me, so I chose to have this pair engraved. The bottom pistol is a before shot. These are small pistols, about 6". IMG_0054.JPG ar_1.png . vase.jpg

survtech

These pocket pistols were made by Jean LePage in about 1805, like Boutet, he was gunmaker to Napoleon. They are very rare, because whilst LePage produced beautiful presentation pistols and long arms, he was not known for his presentation pocket pistols. The engraving on these pistols is almost without precedent, a lot of love went into, I think.

As is usual for presentation pocket pistols, each lock-face carries a different engraving. The lock-face engravings are likely the work of Fleury Montagny (1760-1836); they are certainly from the pattern book of Ignace Joseph Chevalier de Claussin (1766-1844), as are many of the presentation pistols by both Boutet and LePage.

The four lock-face engravings are: –

“Neighing Horse” from an etching by Paulus Potter (1625-1654)

An untitled etching of a ram by Paulus Potter (1625-1654)

An untitled etching of a ram by Nicolaes Berchem (1620-1683)

“Pissing Sheep” by Marcus de Bay (1639-1844).

The above research is mine, for at least 60 years many of my pistols have been the subject of articles and collection notes, but notes on the engravings were incorrect. I was able to find the original etchings by the Old Masters, and the pattern book of de Claussin, there is no doubt whatsoever that the engravings were from the original etchings, even down to stance, position, expression, and other items included in the originals.

Please note, these pistols are very small, and a lot of the engraving needs a magnifying glass to be able properly appreciate the work.

lp_2.jpg LP_4.jpg LP_5.jpg FILS.jpg LP_6.jpg

survtech

Most of my photographs were taken from the perspective of a firearms collector. Looking at other photographs on this portal, would members prefer macro photos?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I many hand engraved firearms. Should I show antiques here? I acquired a pair of pistols made by, arguably, the best gunmaker of all-time, Nicholas-Nöel Boutet, gunmaker to Napoleon. I acquired a pair of very plain pistols made and signed by Boutet in about 1810. I decided that if I was going to spend nose-bleed money on hand engraving it should be on something valuable and important to me, so I chose to have this pair engraved. The bottom pistol is a before shot. These are small pistols, about 6". View attachment 52225 View attachment 52222 . View attachment 52224
yes, this engraving (antique) is surely welcome here.

survtech

This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

Oh, what does that mean? Are the photos not showing?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors