Question: Polishing?

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am a reloader and just started polishing a couple thousand rounds of brass cases for my cowboy shooting. At the same I'm sitting actions the room polishing a 1911 slide.

Question: Can I stick the gun parts is the vibrating polisher used for brass? Will the walnut shells give the polish we look for in our firearms? Is there another media that would work?

Thanks,
Gerry

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm sure it'll work if you want the edges rounded off and ruined. Quality gun prep is done by hand. I used stones, files, and wet or dry paper. It's very time consuming work, but creates the perfect canvas for engraving.

Andrew Biggs

I personally believe every gun engraver should prep at least one gun in their lifetime.

That will teach you one of two things. The first is that you like it and carry on prepping guns.............. Or you will decide that life is to short and get someone else to do it :)

Keeping edges sharp is paramount to good gun prep. (and a lot of other canvases) Rounding the edges is the work of an amateur. Learning to prep parts for engraving is an important part of the whole process of engraving.

Cheers
Andrew

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I've been hand polishing my gun parts since day one,like Sam said quality prep is done by hand and no buffing.Using a buffer will round edges and dish out screw and pin hole,so take your time.There nothing like a happy customer,he or she will brag about you. J.J.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
I'm sure it'll work if you want the edges rounded off and ruined. Quality gun prep is done by hand. I used stones, files, and wet or dry paper. It's very time consuming work, but creates the perfect canvas for engraving.

Sam and JJ, are there any good resources (dvd, web, etc.) on metal prep.? I ask because I've looked and found that subject to be a bit shy. Not to hi-jack the thread, just asking because it came up.
br.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Big ransom
AGI, American Gunsmith Instatute, has several good DVD on metal prep and polishing. Brownells has the DVD or you can get them from AGI.

Gerry
Sam hit the nail on the head. Another problem with trying to polish something as. BIg as a slide, the brass polisher does not have enough room for the slide to move freely in the polishing medium. There are something's that do not have short cuts. Polishing a firearm is one of those things. If you try it will show in the final product.

Hope this helps. :tiphat:
Sandy

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
Maybe not such a good idea. Didn't think about the edges rounding off. Great point.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
We tried using a reloading type vibratory tumbler at work to deburr and remove weld discolor on stainless. We started at walnut shells and progressed up to ceramic pyramids. It was an abject failure. The hobby type tumblers do not have enough power or a large enough hopper to handle heavy parts.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
When I was with New Orleans Arms Co. I would spend many, many days prepping a gun for engraving. The finished product would be crisp and sharp with straight edges an no machining marks from manufacture. It's incredibly painstaking work and an art in itself, but it can elevate a stock gun to a really stunning piece. If there are DVDs available get 'em!

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've polished a lot of jewelry and I know for a fact that no machine can polish as fine as hand polishing. Mechanical polishing can assist hand polishing by brightening hard to reach recessed areas. I don't mean not to use buffers and grinders, I mean throwing pieces in a pot or tumbler and thinking they will come out polished crisp and beautiful won't happen.

Last edited:

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
While you are at the process consider making mirror image panels from side to side the same shape and size so your design will transfer from one side to the other without a lot of adjustments.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Forgot the edges. It was just a thought.

BTW this vibrating polisher is definitely not a hobby size. The bowl is an old cement mixer.

Latest posts

Sponsors