Pistols & plans

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sure this is interesting Phil, perhaps I have to search for a YouTube manual "how to build a gun using files and hacksaw"

arnaud

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
3D Printed Guns Have Arrived!

Last week, a privately owned California-based "additive manufacturing" firm called Solid Concepts built the world's first useable, commercial-grade firearm using a process called Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS).
To us laymen, DMLS is the holy grail of 3D printing.
The process sounds like something out of a science fiction novel: It involves a 200-watt laser melting grains of microscopic metallic powder into 20 micrometer-thick (.02mm) layers, one after another, allowing for extremely precise, fully automated-manufacturing of complex components from stainless steel, titanium, and a variety of alloys.
Since fabricating the world's first Colt 1911 clone entirely using DMLS, Solid Concepts has fired more than 500 rounds through in an ongoing durability test, using both mechanical shooting rigs as well as live human shooters.
All along the way, they've been making headlines — both for the controversial choice of object for this demonstration and for the amazing milestone the fabrication represents to the rapidly growing industry.

With all but the main spring and magazine built inside the DMLS device, Solid Concepts has proved it's possible to create a metallic component capable of withstanding more than 40,000 pounds per square inch of pressure — common to the breaches and barrels of semi-automatic pistols like the 1911.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil did you apprentice in the Kyber Pass,;)

The way I used to work, it would seem that way :)

In a week or so I will be scanning my Adams plans, I have to mention that these plans have no measurments but they are to scale 1.1 so measurements can be taken directly from them.

I will also be stripping the gun and taking pictures of individual parts which I think is needed for anyone building one.

I have to mention the in the UK and probably in the USA it is elegal to make a firearm without an RFD which has a gumaking endorsement written on it.

I have had a few members interested, please PM me if there are more. There will be a small charge as the last plans I released were free.

The other plans are of a flintlock pocket pistol and a London Navy Colt, I might also do the same with these.

Phil

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I believe that in the USA there is no license needed to make or sell a percussion or flint firearm.
There was a big hoopla about this several years ago and it all goes back to money. The issue was that Pitman-Robertson taxes were not being paid on these guns. I believe an agreement was reached whereby anyone building less than 50 guns per year was exempt. Anyone producing more than that were required to register as a manufacturer and subject to collecting the taxes.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've scanned the plan and Photoshopped them together, they will print out the correct size when individual parts are cropped, they were drawn up I think in the late 70's before I started engraving, hence the loverly scrolls :shock: They were a bit better on the original :)

I need to take pictures of the individual parts next.

Here's part of the plan.

Phil

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looking at the pictures I have to remind myself that at that time I was neither a machinist, gunmaker, stocker or engraver, I think I would do things a little differently today!

Phil

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I Thank you for your efforts on this endeavor but further thank you for the inspiration you have shared with us though all your postings. For you it may seem just a scan or old photo to those you inspire we truly appreciate what you do.

"to inspire is to give the greatest gift of all-to be inspired is to receive all that another has to give" Hollie B Thomas, PHD, Doctoral Dissertation Committee Chair, Teacher, Mentor and Friend

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
it's really paid by the consumer in the end as part of the retail sales price, not the manufacturers as it states here:
I beg to differ. Excise taxes are "pass on" taxes. The manufacturer pays the excise tax monthly (or more often) based on completed production figures and the manufacturer's lowest tier wholesale price. That product may pass thru several tiers before reaching the end consumer; ie, warehouse distributor, dealer, retailer, etc. The tax is not based on the final sales price like a sales tax is.

It is the same as gasoline, whereby state and federal excise taxes are paid at the distribution point and passed thru to the consumer as part of the price of the gas. The dealer is responsible for collecting and remitting only the sales tax, as it is a use tax not an excise tax.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
DK, if you buy a c sharps, a david miller, a rigby, or a shilo, or a dakota from them direct, you pay the excise tax, directly, as if it were a sales tax, it is all additive, if there were a "pass on" tax, wouldn't that be great, hehe.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have had a few people interested in the Adams plan, if anyone else is, it is £12 via PayPal.

Phil

Latest posts

Sponsors