Pictorico transparency problem

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

I've been using epson transparencies with transfer magic and had great success. I purchased the "Pictorico Premium OHP Transparency Film" since I was almost out of the epson. It will not work at all. Zero transfer. I had printed it a couple days before use so I tried printing a fresh image, still zero transfer. I have a couple sheets of epson left so I used it and it worked as good as ever. My printer is a HP 1200 inkjet with #56 black ink. Any help would be appreciated.

Ken

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Have you tried Dammar Varnish? That's what I use just get a little on your finger and rub it on where you want the transfer till it starts to get tacky then just burnish the transfer as normal and it should pull the ink right off, I'm not familiar with your printer but it's worth a try. If you try it let us know if it works for you.

Kevin

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
:banana:
This is what works 4 me.
Dammer varnish--zippo lighter fluid--acouple drops of white Rust-oleum oil paint in de can [takes the shine off the metal].
Brush the above on and let dry, over night works.

Print on the smooth side of 3M multipurpose transparency film with my HP officejet G55 with Black only setting of # 45 black ink. It will not dry on the smooth side for a while-- days.

Hope that helps, :beerchug:

Tape and burnish.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a HP printer that uses the hp98 black cartridge. the Pictorico Premium OHP Transparency Film works real well for me. But I can't let it sit around and get to dry . I can't use it the next day or it won't transfer well.

Andrew Biggs

That's really weird as I have an HP that takes a #27 cartridge and that works real well with the Pictorio transparancies, even days after it has printed.

Have you tried black ink only by ripping out the colour cartridge?

Also go into whatever programe you are useing and set it to CMYK settings and set the black to C=0 M=0 Y=0 K=100 what that is doing is saying to the printer that it is pure black with no colour added.

Cheers
Andrew

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,

Which side of the transparency do you print on the hazy side or the slick side? The product I have says to hold it in front of you with the clipped corner on the upper right, then print on that side.

The printer I am using only has a black cartridge.

I have corel draw 12 I will try those settings.

Ken

Andrew Biggs

I print on the hazy side as it is slightly sticky when you touch it with wet fingertips.

In Corel............if it is line work.........select the item.......go to the colour or line dialogue box (whichever is the appropriate one for the job) and you can change from RGB ro CMYK from there.

I'm getting great transfers. Not as good as the Epson but I would say about 90% as good.

Also try experimenting a bit with how much solution you use. I use Tom Whites and it works great. I put it on with a q-tip (cotton bud) by just dipping it in the bottle and then smearing it over the metal.....so a fair bit goes on.

When you are burnishing you can actually see the lines go darker as they transfer and you will probabley end up with a bit of the transparancey gunk sticking to the metal which poses no problems.

I'm pretty sure that from what I'm reading with all the mixed results that atmosphere can make a difference........things like heat, cold, humidity etc.

Cheers
Andrew

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Andrew,
I have the HP 5610, I believe the same as you. It takes the # 27 cartridge.
I've heard you say that you remove the color cartridge several times.
I have tried that many times but my machine gives me a message "cartridge missing" and won't print. Could this be a slight variation between NZ and US machines?
I know they are all made in Asia but maybe two slighty different series machines???
I just go into the program and select black ink only.
The same number ink cartridges are made in various countries and I notice that some transfer much better than others.
Go figure.
Best.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Ken:
Are you using HP cartridges, or one that has been refilled??? I know that refilled cartridges from Staples, and Office Max will not work for transfers. Something to do with there brand of refill ink.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another CRITICAL step is to CLEAN the surface to be transferred to thoroughly with acetone, 91% alcohol or something similar BEFORE applying the transfer magic or damar mix. That can make the difference between NO TRANSFER and great transfer.

Andrew Biggs

Hi John

I get the same message "cartridge missing" but just close the window and it will carry on printing.

Goodness knows with these things. The variables in ink, atmosphere and all sorts of things seem to make a difference of some kind. I know a lot of models here have slightly different numbers than your models. The inks are being changed all the time and it's only because we want to use them for anything other than there intended purpose that causes the problems.

Another thing that can cause problems if you have a bit of humidity and the moisture in the air (or even vapour from hot fingers like putting your hand against a cold peice of glass and condensation happens) Somtimes a quick flashover with the heatgun can help as well.

Maybe mine works because it's upside down at the bottom of the world..........now there's a thought. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Tom White

Ken,

Set the paper choice as plain paper not transparencies this will put more ink on the film you can also adjust the brightness settings if possible to get more ink on the film.
You can also put one coat of solution on and let it dry then put another coating of solution and blow dry this will make a single coating with a little more bite.
Tom White

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
interesting. i'm currently doing transfers with an hp cartridge refilled at a giant eagle grocery store. don't know what kind of gunk they put in the cartridge, but it works like the orriginal ink did. does the damar, and many other transfer techniques, including direct on the metal without coating.

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I have a HP L7480 with "Vivera" ink Cartridges, and are Using the Pictorico Film, Also with the Tom White Magic Transfer. Have a Epson printer as well. BUT

I used the Hp one day, Epson Cartridge empty! And Voila!! It Printed Beautifully, Used it again and Voila!!. Epson now Retired, Cartridges TOO expensive.
I print on the hazy side, Plain Paper Setting and Black Only.

InCidently, I had a Client Last Weekend That came to look at my Ball Vice, Wanted to try it Out. Got a Practice Plate, "Transfer Magic" and what Now for a Picture,? Rummaged thru my prints that I store for Future Use, Found a Pattern that I Printed about 3 weeks ago, and did the transfer, Magic!! it came of Beautifully.!!!!
Tried a Older Sheet, maybe a month and a 1/2 ago, still works.!!
O, also had a recent Project, that I smudged a portion of the Pattern, used the same template that I used Again, And It Transfered Again, NO Problem.

Well that is my Penny. It Works for Me.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks Andrew, must be that upside down thing in NZ.
When I close the "Cartridge Missing" window and hit print all I get is the same missing message over again.
It does work OK if I go into Preferences and select Black Ink only, though.
Just gremlins I guess.

Latest posts

Sponsors