Pendant Art Multitasking

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A culmination of every artistic skill I posess: Designing, machining, finishing, engraving, stonesetting, photographing and marketing.
These are made from 416 grade Stainless Steel with real gemstones and CZ's.

Attachments

• PendantArtMontage.jpg
    PendantArtMontage.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 290

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you know, you are a real asset to those wishing to learn to do hand engraving on jewelry. just one look at your work would convince a newbie to pursue this type of engraving.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Quite a dazzling array, guaranteed to win the heart of any lady, Brian!

Your are firing on all of the seven cylinders you listed, with great results.

Did you say you might be Reno bound in January?

best

Rod

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the kind remarks.....I'm learning and it's fun.
I've had some good technical advice and instructions from Tira Mitchell, Chris DeCamillis and Amy Armstrong, but never had the chance to put it to good use until recently.
The pendants really are Sandy Brady's idea. Sandy, Tira and I were at a gun show recently. I was showing off my flute crowns and that's when Sandy said, "This would make a nice pendant." So I pursued it.
Monk, you bring up a great point and a teachable moment for newbies and veterans alike. Every pendant I've displayed above literally is nothing more than a collection of the most basic of basics:
A round piece of metal turned on a lathe with a hole drilled in the edge for a 1.5 mm chain to slide through.
A basic seating burr to cut the stone seat.
The use of a beading tool to push a bead up on the stone.
Single points cut with a 120 deg graver in a few open spaces that really don't do much except create some contrast.
There's absolutely nothing here out of the box. Anyone with but a few weeks of good instruction can do what I just did.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, in your list of techniques that "anyone... can do", you very wisely left out designing the thing in the first place. That is where the magic happens!

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bruce......I'm not sure I follow you. Could you explain it for me? The part where you said I "wisely left out designing" kinda tripped me up.
I'm not known for wisdom. N'yuk,N'yuk,N'yuk.

Last edited:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In your second post, you told us that we all could do what you had done. the only thing you left out of that list (but had in the first list) was the designing of the art on the pendants! In other words, the real hard part!

Latest posts

Sponsors