Pen barrel holder

Joe Jacob

I was wondering what would be a good jig/holder for engraving pen barrels?
Searching the web I can only find holders for laser engraving machines. Any ideas for fixture for hand engraving?

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are several things you can do. But there is no one size fits all. Josephs bar clamp design is a good idea. I use the same fixture I use for revolver cylinders and short barrels. Fred Bowen's cylinder fixture would be a good option and as cheap as Fred sell that set It silly for an engraver to not have one. No matter what fixture you decide on you need to be able to turn that barrel sleeve between two centers.

Since most barrel sleeves are very thin and can warp easily and are prone to vibration, it is a good idea to either fill it with cerosafe fixturing alloy or make a snug fit mandrel or expanding mandrel on a lathe to fill the inside of the sleeve.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Joe,Ever think of two small live centers,mounted on a steel base and one live center thats able to move and then is locked in place.You turn the barrel sleeve with one hand while engraving with the other hand.Enco has small live centers for about $45.00 each. J.J.

Joe Jacob

Thanks for the replies.

I started out with a C-clamp, but realized that for the size opening that I wanted the throat of the clamp would be too deep. In searching the forums I found some pictures. JJ Roberts, I think, found a nice clamp at a flea market, but it seems that it is one of a kind. Nothing struck my fancy until I found a photo of a setup. It was of Mike Dubber at an NRA convention. Very sturdy, overkill for what I need but interesting. I might try making something similar.

Ray, thanks for mentioning the cerosafe. I have two bars that I got 30 years ago and never used, except as paper weights. Will certainly give that stuff a try.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You could start with a bar clamp or pipe clamp. You'd have to add your live centers to both ends but you can buy them in pretty much any length you want. With the pipe clamps you hook them on to a piece of pipe so you can easily adjust the overall length.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe,

I just thought of something I need to warn you about on the cerosafe. You can't use it with gold. It will interact chemically with the gold and destroy the part. It does work will with other metals though.

Ray

Joe Jacob

Well I thought that I would post my attempt at making a holder. It came out a little heaver duty than I first envisioned, but should be able to work with both light and heavy items. The barrel came from the "Extreme Profit Center."

Ray thanks for the comment on the cerosafe. I was wondering if it would solder to, or affect some metals adversely.

Latest posts

Sponsors