Question: Payment for gun engraving

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
So I was wondering how most of you gun Engraver's handle payment for the work you do on client's guns. Do you take payment or a deposit in advance? Or do you just collect payment when the work is done.

I also have a concern as to what are the legalities of being paid when the work is done when you do not own the firearm. I am assuming that the work that is done is done well, and then what if the client turns out to be a scoundrel and refuses to pay but wants their property back.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I usually ask for 1/3 down and remainder due when the job is done and before the gun is returned. I do provide photos of the finished work. Most states have a uniform code of commerce. I had to use that once many years ago when a customer wasn't forthcoming with the final payment. After several months (9) I advised him that under the uniform code of commerce that he had 60days to pay off or the guns (matched pair) would be subject to private sale. The money showed up on the 60th day. Auto mechanics use that a lot I am told so you may want to talk to one if you know one you think will answer your questions.

monk

Staff member
also,don'tforget the need for an ffl( federal firearms license). you'll need this to ship as well as receive the gun. it's also needed to simply retain the critical gun parts at your location whilst doing the engraving. :eek:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Ron,I get 1/2 down and when other 1/2 payment check clears my bank,then I ship the parts.J.J.

Last edited:

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
also,don'tforget the need for an ffl( federal firearms license). you'll need this to ship as well as receive the gun. it's also needed to simply retain the critical gun parts at your location whilst doing the engraving. :eek:
I have that already, just waiting on the state dealer's license here in NY, the state that always has to make it just that much harder.

I feel better knowing about the mechanics lein statutes.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron
When I was in NYS I also needed a sales tax number as engraving was taxable like everything else in NY. Actually I needed a NYS Dealers license and a NYS Gunsmithing license. Maybe that has changed in 8 years :thinking:

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
Good point fancygun. When I filled out the dealers app i inquired and was told it covered both selling and gunsmithing activities. I already have the tax number from my metalsmithing business.

Sponsors