Part one: Super Duty Power Hone

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Folks I would like to share with you some equipment that I have built for my engraving hobby. Part one will be my power hone, a simple but effective piece of equipment. It was designed with an open type architecture which uses a 110 volt 1750 rpm 1/2 hp motor with a cast iron flywheel. So far, after about two months use it has become a favorite tool. For bit honing it uses the Lindsey template system. The flywheel height from the deck is set by shim packs under the motor mounting bolts, a bit of a hassle but not bad. I added a brake lever on the right of the flywheel, stops the rundown of the flywheel to 2 seconds.
Pros of the build
*very smooth and quiet
*simple design and easy to build
*lots of power
Cons
*very heavy clocks in at 51 lbs
* deck height setting not convenient
Hope you like the hone...Bob

Attachments

• 4-100_5804.JPG
    4-100_5804.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 389
  • 1-100_5813.JPG
    1-100_5813.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 390
  • 3-100_5803.JPG
    3-100_5803.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 2-100_5801.JPG
    2-100_5801.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 390
  • 5-100_5806.JPG
    5-100_5806.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 388

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Don and Dogcatcher Thanks for the words ....My next build, Part two will be my heavy duty turn table I built in 2012 ...stay tuned

Dave and Carlos Thanks and you hit on a good idea I hadn't though about.... I need to find a quiet suitable vacuum since my shop vac is to loud..What do you guys use?

Bob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if the rpm of this beauty of a project is low enough, use common drugstore mineral oil. never a worry of breathing dust. if you've ever actually sharpened a graver, you'll find out some manner of coolant will be a must. wd40 is very good for cleaning the disks. thanks for showing this great project.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

And the mineral oil Jay mentioned

Saludos,
Carlos

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Jay and Carlos Thanks for the advice....I have started designing a hood for the hone using a 2hp vacuum that I have... The oil approach on the disk will not work because it is a open frame motor so I cannot keep the oil from running thru the motor... If you look at the picture you will see that you cannot get under the master lap flywheel to install a shield.. It was a good thought....I will post a pic when I finish. I have ground carbide bits for 20 years in my machine shop using just respiratory protection but the area where my engraving bench is cannot stand carbide dust so I am glad all you guys reminded me to take care of it ...

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Eugene, that's a good idea and thanks for the reply ....I do use windex and a rubber eraser to clean grit out of the diamonds....I don't think a slurry of windex will stay on my disk at 1750 rpm. I just about have finished a hood and vacuum system and will put it in a thread...

Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors