Overview of Sams New DVD Engraving Scroll Work Part 1

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
I received Sams DVD on Engraving Scrollwork a while back and I have wanted to do a write-up on it. I have collected all of Sams videos over the past 10 years and I have always learned something new whether it be using Corel Draw or Graver geometry or Wax transfer or Converting from Corel Draw to Illustrator Sam has been in my engraving studio Helping me to become a professional Engraver.
This Video is different from my prospective I wanted to evaluate this video as to its usefulness as to engraving a full project such as a knife. I have watched the video at least a dozen times to see how the flow works ( ie can I start at the beginning or go to a part of the video I need help on ) .
This evaluation will be a in Multiple Parts. I am going to go chapter by chapter and Engrave a Knife just like Sam does in this video. I went out and bought a Al Mar knife like the one Sam used and mounted it using GRS Thermo-Loc. ( Chapter 1 ). I got out my Dividers and my Polished Scribed for laying out my borders
( Chapter 2 ) Part 2 wil show pictures of my cut borders and layout of the design using Transfer Wax.
I want this to be noted that my engraving work will not be up to par as to Sams engraving, However I thought it would be fun to engrave a project while evaluating this wonderful video. Attached are a couple of pictures that show chapter 1 and Chapter 2. The next Part 2 will be a picture of my Borders cut and the design of the scroll work.
I hope you will enjoy this little adventure and be patient with me

Bill Rice

Attachments

• Al Mar Engrave Knife 3.jpg
    Al Mar Engrave Knife 3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Al Mar Engrave Knife 2.jpg
    Al Mar Engrave Knife 2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Al Mar Engrave Knife 1.jpg
    Al Mar Engrave Knife 1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 167

mrthe

Great, thank you will be very interesting, i love this video, i think is the best one about hand engravingand a must have for all the Engravers.
For the size of the transfer wax box , this knife have to be very small!! is the same size used for Sam in the video? and where we can purchase this knifes?
I'm interested in engrave one too, seem be a nice pocket knife to engrave.

mrthe

I have try but is not the same, maybe can work for some type of works, i have see people using lipstick balsam too but i have to say that the Sam's wax is the best for the transfers and drawing on the plates.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
I to am looking forward to this project. Mrthe The Knife is the Al Mar Hawk which GRS carries. I do believe that this knife is the same size and model only with different handle material as Sam's, could be wrong Al Mar makes a number of models However this is a beautiful knife and after I finish, if it turns out half as nice as Sam's engraving I will keep this for myself and use it to show off my engraving to potential customers.

As for Sam's Wax I have experimented with almost every type of product to layout my projects when I do a freehand design and
Sam's wax is the product I have settled on. its easy to apply and has multiple uses I can layout and draw the design, Cut, then use the wax to
do a transfer of the pattern I just cut. Cleanup is easy. As I mentioned over the past 10 years I have really experimented with engraving.
I have studied with number of engravers and made friends with many of the others and every time they made some suggestions
I have gone to my engraving studio and tried it.

I am getting more and more busy working and I am going to try to put my self on a schedule to get this knife done.
I look forward to sharing more progress pictures.

thanks for the interest

Latest posts

Sponsors