Origins of this Design?

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
I'm seeking info on the origins of this design. I recall that it may be Persian.

Attachments

• ScrollCircle1.jpg
    ScrollCircle1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 168

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It certainly looks arabesque and could be Persian, but I seem to recall seeing it on a Swiss cowbell last time I was in the Alps?

Where did you see it, and is it in public domain? I think it would look nice done with 'flare cut' and with a bead blasted background.

Rod

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
It's from a very nice piece of jewelery. It has a diamond border that I cropped out to post here.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for sourcing this design, Tira!

and thanks for posting, ND!

Nice piece, Todd, and I can see Sam's point, there is a certain formality in the design that does have a Celtic resonance.

Rod

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
it s islamic design.. all the separates pieces of the composition are arabic, of north african school..
probably the complete composition is somewhere to find in a dover or pepin press publication
(cheers icon)
Frank

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Frank! I believe most of us already have it :)
The German title is:
"Handbuch der Ornamentik" from F. S. Meyer first printed in 1927

There is a English translation also - if you don't have it, you can download it (large file - about 78 MB) from my German homepage - it is called "A Handbook of ORNAMENT".
It will stay there till Sunday...
Go to page 260, there is the pattern. On page 257 you'll find the short description.
Regards, Mario.

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Vielen dank Mario Adlerauge ;-) seht nett von dir..
I have , like most of us indeed, the book too, in english pocket version...
and ,probably also like the most of us,every time surprised to rediscover things in it..
Anyway it s a great resource and a great help you make it available for download here...

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Eigentlich müsste es hunderte von diversen Musterbüchlein geben - speziell aus dem französischen Raum. Wenn Du Tipps hast, immer her damit!
Same to me - there are a lot of patterns in it, very much to discover and rediscover :)
And a lot to learn also - i like it too as a help when developing things new.

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
LOL, ahh the wonders of the Interweb. Ask a question, get replies from all around the world, and the answer is not more than 20 paces from where I type this. Yes indeedee, I have a copy of "A Handbook of Ornament".

E-mailed Todd but he couldn't remember where it was from, so I'll let him now what we've found.

Thanks to All.

Latest posts

Sponsors