Omega clip broke in half

purplepepper8

Hi, I soldered an omega clip to a pair of earrings, I dropped the earring, and as you can see from the photos, the clip broke in half (not from the solder I joint). I did heat treat it- 600 degrees C for 30 min and then quench in water, followed 300 degrees for 1 hour and air cool. Both the clip and the earrings are made from 18k rose gold. Anyone know why this could be the case?
I asked the manufacturer and they said they would run some tests but I'm not so confident that theyll find the answer.

Attachments

• IMG_3793.jpg
    IMG_3793.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3794.jpg
    IMG_3794.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3795.jpg
    IMG_3795.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 37

purplepepper8

Do you know the alloy content? Why are you heat treating after soldering the part to the earring? Basic red gold info here.... https://orchid.ganoksin.com/t/18k-rose-gold-to-anneal-or-not-to-anneal/35862/2
I don't know the content. The dome tends to dent/ disfigure if dropped and so I wanted It to be stonger. I heat treated after soldering the clip on because I think with the heat while soldering the heat treatment would lose its effect. Right?
Thanks for the link, its informative. I think its clear that the slow cooling has caused issues. I’ll find out the compostion of the metal and then things will be clearer. Thank you

Latest posts

Sponsors