Old ball vise

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member

This was gifted to me today. Makers mark "ECHARCO No1" pat nov 5' 12

This vise is 100 years old an smooth as butter. Anyone familiar with the manufacture ?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i cant answer your question-- but it's old-- send it to me i'll get you a new one.. sure is nice-- how much does it weigh ?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Never seen one like that. I like old vises and have a few myself. Nice gift you received!

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A while back one very similar was for sale on the bit and spur forum. It was listed as a bit engravers/makers vise. Had a depth (or height might be better term) of about 5 inches as I recall. It sure a nice one. Fred

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
"Echarco" made and sold a range of engraving balls. From what I remember they were still advertised in the 1920's in jewelry and watch tool catalogs. And maybe later. They also sold other tools including a very unusual graver handle that was adjustable, and used only special gravers made by them. A completely different system than the common - often seen "Bowman" system. All their tools I have seen were very well made.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
This is from the Paulson Jewelry and Watch Catalog printed in 1928.

Also note the inside ring engravers.

Attachments

• Paulson Engraving  75%.jpg
    Paulson Engraving 75%.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 245

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Surprising that I own all but the Echarco ball vise that is on the Paulson page.

Pretty sure the box of attachments is for the Echarco vise since the spacing of the pins on the locket holder where there are two pins are different from my other vises. Definitely not for the vise shown. Not sure how the Z shaped bars are used that are in the lid of the box. Their diameter is bigger than the pins of the other accessories. Same as shown in the catalog.

I don't think the black paint on the engraving vise is original. Guess someone painted over the worn plating.

Also included the Echarco graver handle and special gravers. Don't like the system so much. I like the E.F Bowman system much better.

Not sure what Brian Means by "real dimensional copies".

Edit: Just noticed that my inside ring holder on the right is different than the one in the catalog. Not the same.

Attachments

• P1000658 90%.jpg
    P1000658 90%.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Sponsors