Help, please: off topic | vector - lines in Illustrator

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
off topic | vector - lines in Illustrator - problem solved!

A few days ago i bought a CS 5.5 version from Adobe. The part called Photoshop is really great - i love it.

But working with CorelDraw since it version #3 it it quiet hard for me to understand, how Illustrator works. I know a few of you are Professionals by using it. For my personal pleasure i'd like to know, if there is a way to get narrow-lines. I would like to use 'em for the shading part on scrollwork and the outlines to get a more realistic looking result. Any help would be appreciated!

Mario

Last edited:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
After a pm from grumpyphil i found the answer to my little problem - thank you!

It is easy - in Illustrator CS5.5 there is a "stroke tool" (see picture) which allows to variate the thickness of every line.

stroke-tool.jpg

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, I use the brush tool for that purpose, you can make your own library of brushes and save them.
I start with the bruches "Artistic - Artistic Ink) you can fine tune them by double clicking them. Then you have the option of the size. Goes from 1 to 100%. And they are tapered lines.
Another option is changing direction and proportional.

This one is done in Illustrator CS3 using that brush tool both for the outlines and the shading lines

Last edited:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Arnaud for your effort! I will try the brushes, too.
Sam, currently it's a big change for me. My conversant workflow i used in Corel doesn't work anymore :confused: Let me see, if i can fix that soon. There are hundreds upon hundreds of tutorials out there - so there is hope ;)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I know what you mean, Mario. I used CorelDRAW for years and it's excellent software. When I switched to Mac I had to learn Illustrator and I have no regrets. Besides Arnaud's tutorial, there are hundreds on YouTube and Lynda.com is very highly recommend for software training. My advice to my students who wish to learn Illustrator is to learn the Pen Tool. Becoming proficient with that tool really gives you the power to do anything. It's not easy at first, but it's well worth the effort!

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just bought Illustrator and many thanks:clapping: to Arnaud, Sam and all others who generously offer help to the computer illiterate and challenged. I am a charter member of that club.:(

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I made the switch too, being familiar with corel, I deleted it from my computer, forcing me to do the same job using illustrator

arnaud

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Now i played with it - thinking i got an idea how it works. Calming to know, i am not the only one, who struggled a bit with that.

But ....

it_works.jpg

for all the replies!

For my wanted effect the pen tool in combination with the stroke tool works very good. With it i can add or take away thickness on every place of the line i like to do - that's great.

:biggrin: Mario

Latest posts

Sponsors