Question: Nsk Emax Evolution vs Grs 850 rotary hand piece.

Domitilla

Yes, this is a novice's question!

I'm keen on knowing the difference between the Nsk Emax Evolution vs Grs 850 Rotary hand piece.

The Emax has greater torque, if am not wrong. Will like to know your thoughts on it.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The 850 is air and the Emax is a micromotor. The Emax as much greater torque but the 850 makes up for it with blazing speed (400,000 rpm). Both will work perfectly for background removal in relief engraving, but I prefer the Emax because I can feel the grinding action better than with the 850.

If you plan to do stone setting, the 850 is not what you want for preparing stone seats.

The 850 consumes a lot of air so if you have a small compressor it will probably run continuously as you use the tool, and possibly overheat.

If you get the Emax for removing backgrounds, be sure to buy the 1/16" collet so you can use dental burs.

Domitilla

The 850 is air and the Emax is a micromotor. The Emax as much greater torque but the 850 makes up for it with blazing speed (400,000 rpm). Both will work perfectly for background removal in relief engraving, but I prefer the Emax because I can feel the grinding action better than with the 850.

If you plan to do stone setting, the 850 is not what you want for preparing stone seats.

The 850 consumes a lot of air so if you have a small compressor it will probably run continuously as you use the tool, and possibly overheat.

If you get the Emax for removing backgrounds, be sure to buy the 1/16" collet so you can use dental burs.

Thanks for your reply.

We have both machines, just wanted to know their specific uses. I love using the high speed 850 and luckily have a rather large compressor, love the buttery feel. I guess when precision is required the Emax would be better, as one can feel the grind. As you have clearly explained.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It seems the burs last longer with the micro motor too. They are spinning slower so there is less heat and you can usually get more use out of each burr (at least for me).

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It seems the burs last longer with the micro motor too. They are spinning slower so there is less heat and you can usually get more use out of each burr (at least for me).

Yep. Good point Tira. The ultra high speeds can burn 'em up in pretty short order. I learned that the first time removing background in platinum with the turbo handpiece. My jeweler friends rolled their eyes and laughed! I had no idea platinum would eat burs so quickly!

Domitilla

Thanks for bring up this point. Yes, the burs will last long with the micro motor since it spins slower and one can also add a reducer.

Latest posts

Sponsors