Noobie question

Nofd1977

Hello folks, been on the site for a while reading all the wonderfully info on engraving from all the knowledge on here. I really would love to jump into this unique craft aside from my jewelry. I guess my first question would be is there any beginner machines and videos anybody would recommend to help get me started? Thanks for having me and glad to be here

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Welcome to the Cafe, Nofd. There's some used equipment listed in the Buy & Sell section. I'm a GRS user so that's the equipment I'm familiar with and use every day. The Gravermax G8 or Graversmith are excellent machines with less bells & whistles than the flagship GraverMach AT. Coupled with a 901 handpiece you can do a variety of engraving from jewelry to guns. I also recommend getting a sharpening system so your gravers are prepared and sharpened perfectly every time.

If you can take a class, it will make equipment selection a lot easier for you.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome as well Nofd,
Besides all the useful info you can find here, you also will find lots of video, demonstrations over here. There is a special chapter for beginner engravers in the "video blog" section and the free pdf documents to practice. All are free to watch or download.
Besides the GRS systems Sam's talking about, there is also the En-Set.

arnaud

Last edited:

mrthe

Like Sam say ,take care and try to buy a good sharpening system,a good sharpened graver make the difference and save you a lot of problems whatever type of engraving method you will use,push H & C or neumatic system ;)

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a two CD set of Don Glaser that I'll give you. It has some basic information, a little humor, and a short conversation with James B. Meek at the end. PM your address and I'll send it to you and you can go from there. Can't beat the price...

Last edited:

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
Lots of video you can watch on youtube and engraversstudio.com. I think most of us, me included, tried to ease into it. So many aspects are interconnected, before long you realize it requires a pretty big leap, but worth every bit of it.

Nofd1977

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I thank you for all the advice. Tim I will PM you with my addy and thanks so much.

Sponsors