No Motorcycle Art

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Just today, I walked around town with the many thousands of motorcycles parked on all streets attending the annual "Thunder In The Valley" event held here. I was surprised of only ONE bike that had anything hand engraved, which looked like only a couple hours work, at the most, and it consisted of a strip of aluminum or stainless, done nice, of stippling and a rose with a name in script at the bottom. Talking with a couple of the bikers, they tell me that the "fad' ended some 10 to 15 years ago, and the cost was way too high. Because of the outrageous vendor fee, in FOUR FIGURES, I'm thinking of some samples for next year worn around my neck, and a bunch of business cards to be doled out. Have any of you noticed this sort of thing, or lack of, out there, and has such "art' just disappeared? I'll know more next year, but what do you think?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
maybe 40 or so bikers have obtained my card. i did one derby cover. the bjkers around here don't seem to have a lust for this sort of thing. when a fee of a couple hundred bucks-- or more is mentioned, well it seems price is a killer. oh, well.

marz

yes its sad that price bit.. i see bikes all the time..no engraving and the one or two i have seen stay in showrooms.. ugghh

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
Although they pride themselves on their "individuality" most HD riders don't want to do anything that's different. They will pay $200 for a clutch cover out of a catalog, but won't pay that for a hand engraved one.

My theory is that they like all their friends to be able to see how much they have spent on their bikes. Hand engraved stuff is too mysterious for them.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
Although they pride themselves on their "individuality" most HD riders don't want to do anything that's different. They will pay $200 for a clutch cover out of a catalog, but won't pay that for a hand engraved one.

My theory is that they like all their friends to be able to see how much they have spent on their bikes. Hand engraved stuff is too mysterious for them.

That's for sure! You hit the nail on the head with that statement. I was at a rally two weeks ago and was shaking my head at the posers. Many of them were dressed in brand new everything from head to toe including brand new patches all over their vests. Not even a scuff on their boots. They just go out and buy everything going for a certain look that will make them a biker. There are some things money just can't buy. If the others were engraving their rides... they would be too.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Ron,Ever time I talked to biker about engraving I first tell them I can't cut through plated parts,the part must have the plating removed then the engraving can be done and after that the part can be plated.I did one Darby cover a few years ago and that was it,the biker get nervous when you tell them the parts have to be striped and then re-plated after engraving.Two events I have done and will never do are again motorcycles and cowboy action. J.J.

maako

I think the market is there just not in the United states, I live in Japan and people will pay to do custom work on a Bike. when I come home I get the feeling that everyone wants it fast cheap and great quality and complain if they don't get that service. the mind set of many people in the U.S. is not what it used to be.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
The tattoo guy upstairs (his business is upstairs from mine), when I asked about engraving his air cover, or SOMETHING on his Harley, said that I charge too much. He didn't know what I charge, but he had made up his mind. I charge $40/hr. He charges $100/hr and only accepts cash. I never could convince him, and he's moving out this week.
I really think a lot is the economy. Very few people have an extra $500 or more, to put into a bike that they will either sell or wreck. Either way, they won't get their money back. It affects my jewelry sales too. Hopefully things will turn around and more people will have a few extra hundred each month. That is discretionary income, and right now it's scary for a lot of people. If they lose their job, poof...they lose almost everything.

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
Although not an actual Harley part, I made this K&N air cleaner cover. The owner was very appreciative.
PRICE: FREE
FOR MY BROTHER:pRICELESS
(He was using a music CD for the cover!)

Harley Air Cleaner ENG.jpg DSCN5794.jpg

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bikes

This really isn't much different than gun engraving. When you think about it, the average gun owner wouldn't think of having his or her gun engraved. It takes someone with an appreciation for the art and the discretionary income to afford it. No different with bikes. If you walked into a room of gun owners, the person that owns a hand engraved gun is a rarity.
It's easy to dump a ton of money into a bike. Engraving it takes thought and dedication.
Layne

JOSIAH HANLEY

my friend had his bike in the show .most every thing tank, frame ,bars, paint and work all done by him . some one said that it should not have even been in because it did not have any parts on it that any one ever heard of ? the idea of custom to people now is having the dealer ship bolt on the parts that you got from a catalog ! was more engraved bikes than you think had to just get out of down town

JOSIAH HANLEY

i had at least 3 or 4 sets of engraved levers and box covers on bikes this weekend! and he did end up getting first place !!i have a set getting ready to go out to crome now when back will try to post a picture

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Insurance wont pay for a custom paint job much less engraving. Unless you are and engraver your riding bike wont be engraved-cost probative unless your movie star or pro b-ball player. The spider bike from the Orange County Chopper show was for sale fro $110,000 for over three years. A cage runs you off the road your just out. Only Lloyds of London would touch the insurance.-A show bike is a show bike and a ride is a ride. You can trick out your ride with bolt ons that you can prove the cost of and insurance might cover them. If they are not damaged they just may tell you to take them off. Fred

Sponsors