"Night & Day", a new Cameo

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, I caught a bit of hell when I was in Reno this past January, because I had not done any new Cameos. So, I finally got off my butt and carved this one a couple of weeks ago. I just got around to photographing it this weekend. It is based on an old Victorian subject. The images are allegorical representations of Night and Day. The older style carvings were covered in "suns rays" emanating from "Day" and a lot of nonsensical bats and owls around "Night". Instead I simply used flowers like Morning Glorys on "Day" and a stars and crescent moon tiara on "Night". I "modernized" the women's images and put more present day profiles on this cameo, rather than the more classical "Greek" profiles. The cameo is 1 3/4 inches long and took around 36 hours to carve and polish. Hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• Night-&-Day-Cameo-copy.jpg
    Night-&-Day-Cameo-copy.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 264
  • Night-&-Day-cameo-detail-copy.jpg
    Night-&-Day-cameo-detail-copy.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 262

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Wonderful work, Mark. I personally like the modernization of the image. It shows a great deal of imagination and creativity on your part. Many ancient Greek, as well as Roman, sculptors experimented with such departures from convention in order to depict the real personality of the subject. Very well done.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Scrachmo, the shell is a "Cassis rufa", or Bullmouth Helmet shell. Sometimes it can be found listed simply as "Cameo shell".

Latest posts

Sponsors