NGraver leaving little lines

chaplin37

I am new to hand engraving. I noticed that when I use the NGraver I get these tiny lines and wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this? Also has anyone experienced this with a Lindsay graver or any other machine? Trying to figure if this is just normal for an NGraver since it is much more inexpensive then the systems out there. Thanks everyone

Addertooth

According to the manufacturers blurb... can be adjusted for light to heavy engraving. Assuming you have it adjusted for heavy engraving, your tip geometry may be off on the graver bit. Too much heel can also lead to shallow engraving with significant drag marks.

mgdesigns

Take a picture of the engraved item and try to zoom in. Also show the actual graver. Remember whatever the surface of the graver is, that gets translated into the metal being engraved.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chaplin37,

Your NgraveR will cut the same cut as any other method or system. It is the graver that makes the cut. The NgraveR only propels the graver, as does a Lindsay or GRS. I can't tell from your description what these "tiny lines" you are writing about are. You say they are in the cut. They may be progression marks, similar to what is created by hammer and chisel. Pneumatic systems leave only microscopic progression marks.

Here is a link to Progress Marks in my glossary: http://www.engravingglossary.com/Hand Engraving Glossary P.htm

chaplin37

Looks like that is what they are, progress marks. Is that a normal thing? and if not is there anyway to avoid them?

chaplin37

Thank you for the info, now one more question, what angel degree should you hold the graver at? I have a video but it doesn't talk about it. I either cut too light or too deep. I keep trying to find a happy medium. If anyone has a picture that would be great. thanks

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The "sweet spot" varies too much between the individual using the graver, the position you are in related to the vise and the graver, the graver geometry and the angles you might be forced to work with on a convoluted piece...
(and all that does not take into account the phase of the moon and a dozen other variables)

There is no "one size fits all" answer.

You have to find it with practice... fill a 5 gallon bucket with practice plates and you'll have it down... :)

After you do - your hand will feel/know where it should be, it's automatic. Instinctive muscle memory. You'll never have to go back and think about it again.

At least with your brain anyway.

Brian

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
there's much information about this very subject. just look in the tips section. learn the value of the search bar.. as for the n-graver-- i once owned one. it's a good tool. learning how to take command of the thing is another matter. fwiw, it will do whatever your hand directs. your job is to practice with it to the point where you're familiar with how it responds. the n-graver brand of gravers are of high quality. i'd suggest you investigate "graver sharpening". consistency in graver geometry makes for a better engraving experience.let us know how you do.

Latest posts

Sponsors