New to this

erebus013

I realize that there are many posts announcing being new to the game, but seeking a bit of guidance. I've just ordered a set of hand gravers after becoming frustrated with rotary tools and not being able to create clean lines. I have no idea once these tools arrive if I will continue, but the power assist systems seem to be very expensive so I figure start with the basics and go from there. If I do enjoy the process and would like to continue my endeavor any suggestions on "reasonably" priced power assist systems? I have looked on the Buy & Sell portion of this site and realize things go quick. So any suggestions on where to look for a basic set up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your comments and reading another newbie thread.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
First and foremost I've been doing this for (?) Hmmm my join date on this site, whatever that is, the truth is I only do this as a hobby. There is no easy way to say this, its an expensive hobby! At least for what I make:D

I'm sure you have not had a reply because you have to make good use of the search feature, read all the tip section, no matter if it applies, just read. (This is an indicator of how committed you are) I resurrect dead threads:eek: I love to read can't get enough!
The start up tool list is there.

Second its like anything else you do, the better the tools the easier and less time it will take for you to learn, but be prepared this takes a many years to learn, I hate drawing backbones, did I just say that out loud? Sorry

Everyone recommends taking a class the new 2014 schedule is up. GRS check their site, or find someone close to you.

You think you only need this tool, then you find out, as you learn, you need that tool. The package delivery guy soon calls you by your first name.:)

If you can't afford a class buy some books and dvds, if you think those are expensive this might not be for you.

I hope I'm not being harsh, just my own personal experience.

Just my two cents worth.

Guys correct me if I'm wrong.

Last but not least, what is your end goal, guns? Jewelry?

Where are you located? Update your profile we might be neighbors:)

You'll be surprised, if someone is close their likely to let you try their setup.

I've read this post 12 times making corrections, where's my Army issued sleeping pill. I'll look for some more errors tomorrow:)

Night all

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you start out like i did- yikes. you say you already bought a set of gravers. i hope i'm wrong, but you seem like you're planning to possibly quit before you even get started. this art is exactly like getting married- you need to develop the attitude or mindset that you will prevail, you will give it your all, and that you will make it work. if you don't think like that, well you gotta think like that ! if you prevail, there will come a time that brings a joy and contentment that is difficult to describe. along the way, you may even pick up some spare cash !

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Might I ask what you've been cutting with your rotary tools? And/or what do you hope to be cutting as you learn? Sometimes it helps to know your direction in order to take the first steps... That can determine the tools and training you'll need to cut whatever it is you plan to cut.
Cliff

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Erebus
Check out Weldon's pistol that was posted today.
This was primarily done with a simple hammer and chisel.
There are numerous airgraver schools that you can attend and spend hundreds to thousands on schooling and equipment. Weldon needs to get a week long class together and teach the basics of H&C to the uninitiated. This would give a tremendous boost to traditional techniques as well as showing that yes, you can create masterpieces with basic tools. Michaelangelo didn't have an air chisel to create art which has endured centuries and is still considered the epitome of stone sculpting. The same for Rembrandt, he used a simple camel hair paint brush to paint his masterpieces, one brushstroke at a time, no airbrush here!
This topic, about not being flush with the big bucks, has been posted over and over, just different names at the bottom.
$1, 000.00 for a 5 day school put on by Weldon or any other master of the h&c would be money well spent.
Add another $750.00 in optivisors, wetstones , etc. and you're in business.
$3, 000.00 -airgraver
$550.00- ball vise
Sharpener, microscope, fixtures, etc., several more thousand outlay and guess what? It doesn't fit today's instant gratification culture. I quit! You may get back .75 cents for each dollar you spent.
So, y'all need to get together and convince Weldon to put a class together and ease into engraving without mortgaging the farm.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"all you need is a little 36 flat, a square, handles, for hand push and hammer chisel, a hammer, sharpening stones and a way to hold your work you can build" (paraphrased Lynton McKenzie) to do all the best work of the last century of English gun trade. Buy his DVD's and be inspired. Where are you from? Someone might be close?

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"all you need is a little 36 flat, a square, handles, for hand push and hammer chisel, a hammer, sharpening stones and a way to hold your work you can build" (paraphrased Lynton McKenzie) to do all the best work of the last century of English gun trade. Buy his DVD's and be inspired

True his set is only 220.00 on ebay

Carlos De La O III

erebus013

I've started with shell casings, just doing initials. But the possibilites are what have me interested. I enjoy buiding motorcycles and also enjoy my guns. I see lots of surface area to leave my mark.

erebus013

I appreciate everyones response. Thank you for the guidance and preparing me for an expensive and hopefully rewarding hobby.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Originally I was not on this forum to really learn engraving, I was here to learn the design techniques so I can use them in my woodcarving. Low relief carving and engraving are pretty close to the same thing. When I started this trip I didn't want to learn to engrave, now I realize to obtain my goal I will have too learn the basics and practice the basis of engraving to get where I want to go.

I have put my money in books, The Art of Engraving by Meeks was a good one, so were some of the other basic books that have been suggested, the newer version Engraving Historic Firearms is better, still at $129 not cheap. A few of the little pocket books that were in the $20 range also had good info. Another source I learned a little was with this kit. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1003/1/ENGRAVING-SET The video helped a little, seeing it n action is better than words.

A weeks course with an engraver would have shortened the learning curve, but I am crippled, using a walker and cane to get around, totally blind in one eye. I don't drive, cannot fly, and I cannot ask my wife to take the time to run me around the country to chase my pipe dreams.

So far I have easily spent $300, and I still have no clue of where or what I am doing. But each step has enlightened me a little more and pushed me to keep trying. But hopefully one of these days it will click and I will be a beginner engraver, and can move on playing with engraving and use with it my woodcarving.

Keep plugging along soon or later you will see some light at the end of the tunnel, it maybe a train, but it could be the answer that you are looking for.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I started engraving, it was a job, I was hired.
I was Seventeen years old.
It was at Gist Silversmiths in California in 1977, I think, so long ago..
They had some great engravers working there who trained us. for a couple of months
The first day, there was about ten of us,we worked at it, practicing, with instruction 5 days a week, 6 or 8 hours a day, after a week or so, there was maybe 5 of us, by the time we were ready to start doing it on actual product after a month or two, there were three of us.
Forum member Darren Reeves was there with me.
Even with excellent instruction, every day, it was really difficult.
There are only two things harder than working at Gist, that I have ever done, the second hardest was packing mules and guiding Elk hunters in the Bob in Montana, and the very hardest, was blue water sailing off the coast of California, in November.

I cant imagine trying to learn to do this just for giggles.

Last edited:

leo

Elite Cafe Member
every body in the forum has a story of how they start and its good because it shows you this is not easy art to learn my 2 cents if you have $150 go to Ngraver buy the starting graver set its worth $35 and two Belgium chisels witch would be $14 a push handle is $10 and for a vise use a regular small swivel vise you could get them in home depot for about $25 dollars and then you need practice plates copper would be good since its soft for hand push and most of all a drawing pad and a pencil so you could practice your drawing cause you are going to do a lot of that

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
I think someone said it earlier, but, you are going to have to want it. i have been doing leather carving for a couple years, that drew my attention to "western engraving', and now I am overly enthralled with all the engraving I see on here. I have cut very few lines as of now, but am slowly building my tools up. I know it'll take several years to get any good at it, but that is something I am willing to commit to. This forum is key, I spend months just reading on here before I ever bought any tools. Yes, I have been on of those who post repetitive threads. I have been convinced to start hammer and chisel. It'll save you a ton! After I get a feel for it, I will looking into classes and power assist.

As for the suggestions for H&C classes, I am defiantly game for that!

marz

ive been a carver for years,just got my graveing machine.. to be honest ..i think im thinking to large.i too had hand gravers,and enjoyed it soo much i saved and scrimped and bought the machine. but its not as easy as hand ones,so far its a huge learning curve,just stick with it .. takes time to change for me (i still carve netsuke and other things) so its small but not as small as engraving..
just an explination of what could or couldnt happen..

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
Keep plugging along soon or later you will see some light at the end of the tunnel, it maybe a train, but it could be the answer that you are looking for.

I dont know if this is an established quote that I have never seen, but if you don't mind, I would like to use it. Too many times, it seem that light I have seen, is in fact a train coming at me!

Latest posts

Sponsors