new to the game

hey everyone!
i just stumbled across this forum site when looking for some tools on kijiji. I am so excited! this is great.
i've been doing engraving for only one year now and am always looking for tips in the trade.
i was wondering if it is better to buy an engravers block first and put my benchmate purchase on hold. i know the block is crucial and makes a difference due to the weight but, i am curious what you think.
or
could you suggest alternative/ more affordable vises or ways to secure a piece to a block?
thanks!
Nicholas

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome! Here is the short answer:

Click on "tips archive" above and all your questions are answered.

Then go to "igraver tutorials" also above.

Then use the "search" function. Every question you are likely to have has already been asked and answered at some time in the past.

Then take a basic course to learn to efficiently make, sharpen and use gravers. This will save you a lot of reinventing of the wheel. Have fun. Post a photo now and then and ask for critique and you will get more help than you bargained for.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nicholas,

You didn't state what it is that you intend to engrave and how you intend to do it. For instance, for guns a ball vice is essential if using a powered graver but a bench vice will work for hammer & chisel. For hobo nickels or small jewelry items, you can go as simple as a 2" dowel with the work glued to the end if you are using a burin or air graver.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Nicholas,
Click on "tips archive" above, this is a very good sourse.