Question: New to powered engraving questions

LW Hiway

001 ele graver.jpg 002 ele graver.jpg 003 ele graver.jpg While looking at various gravers, videos of and use of the assorted variations of powered gravers, I ran across this neat little electric hand held that I'd like to learn more about.

It's brand if possible?

Whom might carry this machine?

Is this a common machine found in use by engravers of today?

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
LW Hiway

I have never seen this tool before, I think you might have problems with that tool.

If you are new to Engraving I would suggest you start with hammer and chisel.

GRSTools has a tool holder for $19.95, look under Chasing Hammers or search for GRS QC Chasing Tool Holder

You will need at least one, Traditional QC Tool Holder, 1/8 th inch hole fits the gravers Steve Lindsay sells

GRS wants $39.95 for a Chasing Hammer, if you buy a hammer I would suggest you get the lightest you can get.

You don't even have to buy a hammer, you could make a hammer from a ½ by 1 piece of wood, carving the handle part to fit your hand better, using the flat part as the head

With a sharp graver you only need the lightest of taps to make your cuts.

You could make gravers from 1/8 inch square tool steel, with proper hardening and sharping you could get started.

Sharpening at the proper angles is very important, so you will eventually need to purchase a sharpening system, I would suggest Lindsay's.

The tool steel does not make the best gravers but I keep some on hand for making a experiential angled graver tool

You will need something to hold your work, but using a Hammer and chisel this could be a small 4" Drill Press Vise sold by Harbor Freight $15.99

Mount that on a post so you can move around and you can be in business

Wish you the best

Kenneth Crutcher

Last edited:

LW Hiway

I appreciate your quick and timely response to my first post on this site.

But, my question was about the 'electric hand graver' pictured.

I've been desiging and building my own knives, firearms, air rifles etc for about 40 years. As a machinist, welder, blacksmith and woodworker, I do just about every part of their manufacture. As well, I have been engraving on and off for about the same amount of time as well as carving/embellishing etc for stocks and grips to support the toys I build.

I've only done graving work by hand and hammer or the odd rotary machine tooling as warranted and have just recently expressed an interest in the pneumatic tools such as the Lindsey products, but have never held one as yet. That may soon change as my age increases. :)

The pure love of designing and building that which I can use is upper most in my enjoyments and accomplishments. Adding a little 'bang of bling' at the end of a build is what life is all about.

Again, thanks
Regards
LW

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I think that may be my old Norelco electric shaver somebody converted. :thinking: Seriously there have been endless vibrating things called engravers, I played with one back in the '70s that's why I didn't start up again until last year, :shock: actually, it didn't work but I had no knowledge was young and in a hurry so I moved on. More than likely you will not find much use for the machine, I have read some of them make excellent background stippling tools. If you're interested in engraving you're lucky to have the Internet, pay attention to the experienced engravers advice do a great deal of reading and you will soon learn how. :graver:

Bob

Don't know how I missed your second post, oh well. :confused:

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would suggest getting a more mainstream setup. There are several discussed here on the forum including GRS, Lindsey and Enset.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'd say judging by what i think the approximate size is, that would be a son-of-a-beast to manage. nobody ever succeeds at engraving if they are without passion, dedication, and a willingness to spend countless hours of uncompensated time. your varied skills tells me you are just such a person. this forum can award you a post doctoral education in this great art. but you must take the time to go thru the forum and read. don't be shy to take a loose leaf and take notes. none of us shy away from answering questions, but if you do as i advise, you'll find many of your questions answered already. good luck

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hello LW, and welcome to the Cafe. That's a curious gizmo you show in your post, and I have no idea what it is. I did see an ultrasonic engraving machine once. It was (is?) made in Japan and pretty useless of my style of engraving.

Monk's given you some good advice as have others. Enjoy the journey and either buy or make some good tools and you'll be off and running. The Cafe is a great place to ask questions and get guidance. Welcome to the fold.
~Sam