New to hand engraving

PMBurk

Hello,
I am new to engraving and I have a set of engravers varying from 30-120 degrees, 14 tungsten carbide tools. Within the set, there are various shapes. Knives, flats, olongettes, home plate shaped, and a couple diamond shaped gravers.
I have some copper disks to practice, a engraver’s vise, optivisor, and I created some patterns/stencils to use with the acetone transfer technique. I have tried to engrave a couple times and I know I have a nice long journey ahead me with engraving. So I am patient and willing to learn.
I tried a 30 degree knife and the work looks like a cheap scratching.
Any suggestions as to what shape engraver is a good starter?
Thank you
Patrick

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. to answer yer question--i think the knife graver is a poor start. i would first use a 90. 45 face, 15 heel for lift. you did not mention that you had a pencil. learning to draw and design well is just as important as learning to use the variety of gravers you have.
i suggest the 90 as i feel it will be much easier for you to learn to control it. you will find each graver style/geometry has a different "feel" to it and the way it cuts.. good luck in your endeavor.

PMBurk

welcome to the forum. to answer yer question--i think the knife graver is a poor start. i would first use a 90. 45 face, 15 heel for lift. you did not mention that you had a pencil. learning to draw and design well is just as important as learning to use the variety of gravers you have.
i suggest the 90 as i feel it will be much easier for you to learn to control it. you will find each graver style/geometry has a different "feel" to it and the way it cuts.. good luck in your endeavor.
Thank you for your welcoming and reply. I agree, the 30 produced horrible results. Yes, I use a pencil, what I do is draw out my design on paper to get an idea as to what I want and copy it onto the copper plate. This is going to take some time and I am willing to invest the time and money to learn this craft.

I will start with the 90/40/15 as you suggest and practice with it. I'll draw some patterns for practice and learning.

Thanks again.

monk

Staff member
Thank you for your welcoming and reply. I agree, the 30 produced horrible results. Yes, I use a pencil, what I do is draw out my design on paper to get an idea as to what I want and copy it onto the copper plate. This is going to take some time and I am willing to invest the time and money to learn this craft.

I will start with the 90/40/15 as you suggest and practice with it. I'll draw some patterns for practice and learning.

Thanks again.
using a new tool for the first time: lay out several small circles and straight lines. then wavy lines. this will give you the feel of the tool as well as how it responds to your hand.

PMBurk

Thank you for the advice. I drew up a practice plate with straight, diagonal, and curved lines. Also thick and thin lines. I will add the circles and wavy lines per your suggestion.
Thank you again.

Rannis

:::Pledge Member:::
As a fellow amature, I welcome you. This is a great place to ask for guidance and the way the forum is moderated cuts out alot of the nonsense found else where.
If you have not read the beginners tool list Id start there.
Dont be hesitent to post attempts at art or design. You will definately learn something from the replies.
Take a look at my postings and heed the advise provided to me, it has been immensly helpful to me.
I look forward to learning along with you.
V/R Dale

Reactions: APN

PMBurk

Thank you Dale for your kind reply. My goal in learning engraving is to do it because I enjoy the challenge and eventually the results (nice looking monogram or block initials) would be nice. :) I have no desire to do firearms, watches (except maybe a broken one at that), or take engraving orders. Just to make some nice trinkets as gifts for family and friends. But I want to do things the correct way and use my tools the way they are designed.
When I feel comfortable, I will post my hits and misses to show progress.

I have been searching around this forum and on Google to fully understand what is the purpose/function of each type of graver. I have watched videos and it appears to me the craftsperson is using what I think is a favorite. He/she uses the same tool from start to finish. That's cool, they probably have years of experience which is also pretty cool. I do have a test plate mounted and I am going to sample each tool that I have. I got my gravers from a master machinist who sells gravers on Etsy. It is a nice starter set and affordable, it will suffice me for now.
Thank you,
Patrick

Latest posts

Sponsors