New to Engraving and Here

ToneMan

Greetings,
My name is ToneMan.
I'm 55yo, retired Social Worker and Mental Health Counselor.
AK-Amputee with associated osteoarthritis, and nerve damage in shoulders, hips, back, and hands.
I just started my engraving journey, I received a Dremel 3000 as a gift years ago.
I figure the easiest/most inexpensive way to begin engraving was to add attachments to what I already have.

I picked up several Dremel attachments and Other items: Ball Vise, Flexshaft, Press/Stand for flexshaft, assorted bits, Magnifying Glass LED Lamp, Books: Art of Engraving, Engraving on Precious Metals, and The Jewelry Engravers Manual, Engraving Plate Assortment, Aleks Melnyk Metal Stencils, etc...
Also, ordered a 5" engraving block ball vise, North 550030L Half Mask Respirator 5500 Series, and North 7580P100 Particulate Cartridge's, Safety Glasses with Side Shields.

I am also interested in Hand Push Graving, Wood-Burning, Etching, etc...
What would be a good but inexpensive beginner Hand Push Graver's Set?
Any advice, suggestions, and/or recommendations are always greatly appreciated.
Attached are some practice pieces.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Be safe, stay healthy, and have a great day!
Best wishes,
ToneMan

ToneMan

Hello,
My goal is to eventually work on Motorcycle (HD) parts, as well as various other mediums in metal and wood.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
ToneMan,This forum and its members don't use dremel tools to engrave you need to check out engraving tools American made,Lindsay,GRS and you may like engraving with hammer & chisel for starting out. J.J.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
having a ball vise is a good start check the beginning of the forum. there's a list of tools for beginners. h & c as well as push work can all be done on a very tight budget, or one can waste money buying all the toys that eventually gather dust.
it's wise to start slow and be persistent in practice. learning to draw and create pleasing designs is rather more important than which tool is best for the work you wish to do. most any graver can cut a beautiful work. it's all in the hand that guides that tool. good luck in your endeavor.

ToneMan

Thank you everyone for your input, I appreciate your comments.
I have a question: how do I cancel/delete my free account?

Latest posts

Sponsors