New ring

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
Just finished this up using customers diamonds. Still working on taking nicer pics. Think I will get a new light. If you have photo taking suggestions that would be great.

Thanks for looking,

Jake

Attachments

• IMG_2993.jpg
    IMG_2993.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_3030.jpg
    IMG_3030.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 300

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful ring, Thanks for sharing. Check the tips archive for tips on photography. Also the knife network forums has a photography forum. There are several others related to jewelry, knife, gun and shiny object photography.Try a google search by specific topic. Fred

Andrew Biggs

Someone, and I can't remember who, suggested a white plastic bowl like Tupperware........cut a whole through the top and stick the camera in it. Basically the bowl acts as a light diffuser. You would need bright light like sunlight to work effectively.

The concept is a good one and worth a try and the best part of all.........it's cheap :)

Beautiful ring!!

Cheers
Andrew

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do like Andrew.
Ice cream bucket is the ticket. Two light sources. Macro. And a two second timer to prevent depression jiggle.
Full spectrum light is best.
Or outdoors

willnewton

Just finished this up using customers diamonds. Still working on taking nicer pics. Think I will get a new light. If you have photo taking suggestions that would be great.

Thanks for looking,

Jake

I have taken hundreds of jewelry photos for our store and can give you a few constructive tips.

First, lose the rock. It is too distracting and competes with the ring. If you must have a prop, try a plain, white, smooth quartz pebble with no features that matches the background.

Second, lose the sharp horizon line. Again, a big distraction from the ring. If you look at most pro photos, if there is a shift in background color, the gradient makes a very smooth transition.

Third, consider using a reflector in front of the piece of jewelry. A white piece of paper will bounce enough light onto the front of your jewelry. It will enhance the stones and your settings will pop with the added highlights.

Lastly, crop baby crop! Your ring is only filling a fifth of the space in the photo. Consider what is the most important item in the photo. Is it the rock? The background? The unoccupied area? Heck, no! It is the fantastic ring you have made. Fill the frame with it.

The ring looks great, with a few changes to the photo, it will be fantastic. Take a few more shots and post them up.

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks my wife told me to lose the rock:] I was going to get a black or white rock. Thanks for the tips the white paper sounds like a good trick. My next ring I make I will teast it out. The ring is out the door my customer was varry happy with the ring.

Thanks again

Jake

Latest posts

Sponsors