Critique Request New Practice Plate

Steveareno

I tried this one on a steel plate, 1.75in. X 1 in. It is one of Sam’s designs from istockphoto. Still having trouble with shading any help will be appreciated. It does look better on the steel than the photo.

Thanks
Steve

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You seem to have gotten the idea quite well. If there is a weak areas, I would say that the leaf folds look a little too deeply cut, but otherwise quite a good job.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Steve, I hope you don't mind if I stick my nose in here, those with far more experience than I feel your work is fine, you however seem to not be satisfied with the outcome, so I will risk your resentment. What I see is your are not allowing the shading lines to widen as they lengthen. Also in some of the leaves you tend to keep the lines going straight when they should converge toward the base of the leaf, but tapering the line may help greatly to disguise this. I think you nullify your work with your cross hatching it's perhaps a bit too abundant a little heavy and perhaps a bit mechanical looking, I'd try not to make it at 90 degrees to the shading lines but at an angle that complements the shadow you're after. I hope you find this helpful, it seems I often inadvertently insult rather than facilitate improvement with my words.

Bob

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Steve , if you wanted to give the leaf structure more form ,check out how Sam did it in his little knife video.You are making some good progress.Watch out for those little flat spots and elbows,It's kinda like driving over to Morro Bay!!!!!

Steveareno

Thanks for the input guys.

Red, I’m open to criticism that’s the way one learns. I’m taking yours constructively and thank you for being honest.

Silver, that’s a good way to look at it. I’ll work on the curves. I am waiting for the DVD to be available from Rio Grande so Stan can pay for it.

I was hoping the design would be in 2 layers so I could separate the main design from the shading. I did take it to Corel and erase the shade and give it a go. I am studying Sam’s shading but have a long way to go. There are a ton of Sam’s designs on istockphoto.com and they are priced very reasonable if you are looking for some practice ideas.

Thanks
Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors