Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My word, a gator that can use a computer.............welcome to the forum gator........Ron S

Gator

Gatorade...that's good!!!
But Ron, I just spent 2 days fighting with this new !$^*$@ Vista OS, just so I could answer this post.
Thanks for the nice welcome.
Gator

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gator, I am relativily new at this email stuff, and went and bought this laptop just to do email on and you guessed it......It came with Vista. Couldn't buy any other operating system as hard as I tried. I am still trying to figure this thing out. Did you have any trouble getting on the internet with it? I keep getting this "cannot display this web page" everytime I boot up and open internet explorer and can't get it off of there. I have to fish around to get around it every time. Then it will work alright the rest of the day until I shut it down. .........FRUSTRATING!
anyway, good to have you aboard.........Ron S

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know Miranda, I could mess up a garbage dump, but young people kinda grew up with this stuff. I am about twenty years behind in the technology department. Delayed getting one of these things till I decided to write my books. Thought I could save some money. I did that I think, but bought into a lot of anxiety. I got-er-done though. The books I mean........and trying to write another one.

lol
Why do I want to do this to myself? ...Yeeeooowww!....Ron S

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron,
Get some high school kid to come over to your house and show him what's wrong. They'll figure it out in a minute. I'm not too bad on these things but it takes me longer to learn the "tricks" each year...

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron,

Check out http://www.ubuntu.com

You can download the current distribution, burn it to a CD, and see how / if it works on your system.

I had the drive go out on my old notebook at the end of 2006 and wound up putting in a new drive and loading Ubuntu. V6 didn't quite work with my wireless network but V7 is just fine. I use it out in the living room. Heck, when the video went out on my current notebook I used the Ubuntu box while the other one was off for repairs.

Do make sure you make the 'recovery' CDs for your Vista system before you do much of anything else. Trying Ubuntu off of the CD won't cause you any problems but who knows what could and you want to make sure you can at least get back to your starting point.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the info Steve,
Well, I looked the site over pretty good, and I might just do that when I get on the edge. I would just wonder about losing some of my material like I did before and some of the other programs that were hidden, or I didn't know where to find them. Isn't it true that one word processor cannot be accessed by another one? Lost my address book on my other computer. I haven't replaced it. that would take me hours retyping all of that stuff.
Rex, you are probably right, but don't have many kids around.
thanks guys...........Ron S

Gator

Wow, where do I start?

I live in Florida, the Florida Keys to be exact. It’s a quiet Fishing Village type of lifestyle down here, 10 steps out my back door and your hat is floating.

It’s not really the Vista I mind as much as the new Excel and Word formats that came with it. They have me staring at the screen with my mouth hanging open, for what seems like hours just so I can find the Spell Cheek button. ;-)
But yes Ron, I get the same error messages, it is a new error in the last few months.
And like you, I had to take what was out this year, I'm tired of learning a new OS every 4-5 years, I was just getting used to XP.
I was thinking of going over to Apple, but all the programs I would have to replace would cost a fortune.

You all sure make someone feel welcome.
Thanks again to everyone for the nice welcome.

Gator

Last edited:
Ahh the keys.... We try to go to Siesta Key every October with the kids. It's beautiful! Are you anywhere near there??

As for the new Microsoft Word...it took me a few times to figure it out too. Seems like just as soon as we get used to one, they totally change it around and probably laugh about it too... :eek:
Darn computer geeks.... :p hehehe

Sponsors