New member intro

chrishiggins

New to the group I'm Chris higgins from oregon 41 winters old. I started graving this week. This is my current set up. Andu hand piece foot control with a sil air compressor(amazing quiet). Amazon ball vice and just built a power hone. No pictures yet. Waiting on more 3mm tungsten carbide rod to come so I can make more gravers. Made 4 today have to even this one out some and the heal was to big but this was my very first one I made.

Attachments

• 20231204_124430.jpg
    20231204_124430.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20231207_223728.jpg
    20231207_223728.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20231207_223739.jpg
    20231207_223739.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 60

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. looks like you're heading in the right direction as far as sharpening goes. good luck to you.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your heel angle is deceptive as it is not running parallel to your face. It’s wider at the top as it goes away from the tip. What angles are you using I use a 15 degree heel usually with a 55 degree face.

chrishiggins

Your heel angle is deceptive as it is not running parallel to your face. It’s wider at the top as it goes away from the tip. What angles are you using I use a 15 degree heel usually with a 55 degree face.
I used the lindsay type system with a universal profile and 96degree face. They don't say what the heal is

mossleycrue

Also, when I first started to make gravers, I was using round HSS. I would grind the angles then add the heel.
Based upon a 96 degree graver....The 96 degree angle that I put the heel on was not quite 96 degrees. As a result the heel did not run parallel with the angle.
I had to go back and re-grind so that the angle was perfectly 96 degrees. I then added the heel. :)
I took me while to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Last edited:

chrishiggins

Also, when I first started to make gravers, I was using round HSS. I would grind the angles then add the heel.
Based upon a 96 degree graver....The 96 degree angle that I put the heel on was not quite 96 degrees. As a result the heel did not run parallel with the angle.
I had to go back and re-grind so that the angle was perfectly 90 degrees. I then added the heel. :)
I took me while to figure out what I was doing wrong.
Ya I'm using round tungsten carbide and I see what you are saying. I have noticed with the templates you do have to go in a order and some are different. I'm going to see if I can adjust that one today

mossleycrue

That's the set I used now I put them next to each other maybe that's why the heal is different
No, this looks like the correct pair.
I had the same issue when I first started making gravers. I couldn't figure out why the heels were not running parallel with the angle. If I recall....I think I was using too much downward pressure when grinding the angles?? Try regrinding the 96 degree angle again using less pressure. :)

Latest posts

Sponsors