New guy

rgh25

I am learning to engrave..that said I will explain, I picked up some gravers and a hammer left over on a trade and became interested in learning how to work with them. Found it rather difficult so I went on you tube and watched some video's on the subject. There is no one around here that does engraving, one thing led to another and I built a air graver system from one of the video's ( I am a machinist so no problem) and purchased a set of gravers and templates from Steve Lindsey. Found the air system works much better for my needs at this time, being on a fixed income limits some purchases.
This brings me to the question, are there any books I can use for developing patterns for practice? I did down load some patterns from the internet attributed to Sam Alfano they have been a great help in learning to follow lines and some shading and basic work.
Right now this is a hobby I make spurs and bits from time to time and would be nice to do the silver work myself. Besides it is fun

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
New Guy, where are you located???
It would be a big help if you and others looking for help would post their general location in their bio.

monk

Staff member
i wont advise which to buy, they are all good. be sure to start with the very basic scroll. no sense in practicing the more complicated layouts. no sense in going complex when the basics are a struggle. welcome to the forum,and good luck in yer adventure.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Start by cutting straight lines ,when there are no curves and the depth and width are the same. Cut them some more till each line is perfect. Then start on circles same thing. Yep boring but necessary. At least it was for me.
Cold rolled mild steel works good for practice plates, a lot less scale.good luck have fun

JohnC

If you look at the very first post on the forums tab you will see Ken Hunt drawings. I can't think of a better place to start. There are many books and videos on the subject of scroll. I have a few done by Sam the Benevolent dictator. I play them for background motivation while I am at the bench engraving.

rgh25

This is my latest work I have been at it for a couple of months still struggling with the really small curves. I am using a 96 degree graver for cutting the small ones and a 116 for the larger. If you have any comments I would welcome them feel free to bash. The scroll pattern was found on the internet and I copied it for practice. I cut the background with a flat graver the plate is 2 x 3 inches.

Attachments

• 100_2676.JPG
    100_2676.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 103

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
In the larger scrolls its kind of easier for you because the there is more time to time the turn. In the smaller scrolls where you have trouble you don't have that kind of time. The turn is on you while the tool is still trying to enter the turn. Plus you start the scroll fairly well but at the end it kind of falls apart, all raggedy and more misshapen. When I had students it was always a sign they were trying to rush the end to see what it would look like when it was done.

Take your time.

Allan

JohnC

Your background removal looks rough, You may be able to use a dot punch to clean it up. Good effort, keep up the practice.

rgh25

Thanks for the help, I am working on using a dot punch the background was kinda a spur of the moment idea, will follow up on that and learning to slow down. My biggest problem is going too fast.