New Epson Eco Tank for transpaency transfers?

mgdesigns

Has anyone tried the new Epson Eco Tank for transpaency transfers? I still cannot get a decent transfer from HP Envy 5530 Inkjet printer.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I have not tried it but would like an answer to the same question. Someone on the forum must have one.

To get transfers with an ink jet you need to use pigment ink. I have been told that dye inks don't work well. I asked about the Epson Eco Tank at Staples and was told it uses pigment ink. I plan to take a transparency and a practice plate to the store and try it but have not got to it yet. I suggest you try Staples and take a sample of a transfer looks like and how it is done. Show it to them. Take a practice plate, transparency, your solution, and some tape and try it. You don't need to take a design, just try a transfer with the test that is a demo. I use Prismacolor 40% gray to coat the practice plate.

My experience with Staples is that they will

mgdesigns

I will try that after Christmas. I work across the street from a Staples, and have a heck of a time with transfers.What transparency stock do you use, and what solution?

Tom White

Hello,
The HP should work very well but you must set it up correctly and use a film the will also release the ink.
On the HP you MUST use HP ink number 61 it is a good pigment based ink, all of the aftermarket ink tanks I tested use dye based inks and will NOT work.
On the HP remove the color cartridge and see if the printer will print this will assure you are printing in black ink only.
If the printer will not work with the color cartridge removed you will need to dig for the black ink only setting as it is different than the grayscale setting. To find this follow these steps.
1. Select the printer then click properties
2. Choose plain paper normal quality (do NOT set for glossy or transparencies)
3. At the bottom click advanced
4. Under document properties you will see print in greyscale with a drop menu.
5 Click the drop arrow and at the bottom you will see Black in only and click that and OK to go back (do not close the window with the X at the top click the OK at the bottom.
Now make sure you have a film that will work and you should be ready to make some awesome transfers.
I have tested and used the Epson and it will work but if you do not use it often enough the head will plug up you need to print something regularly to avoid a clogged head.
The HP gives you a new print head with every tank.
I have most likely tested and used more printers and films than anyone on the forum. If you have the correct printer, ink and films and transfer base you will not have any problems.
Tom White
Transfer Magic
TW Designs website

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I think that HP printers that use no 61 ink are no longer be produced. My printer quit and I have been looking for a new one and cannot find a new HP printer that uses 61 ink. Just ask Staples. I am glad you told us that the Epson will not work, but was it the Eco tank? I know that other Epson printers don't work, but the Eco tank is rather new.

Tom White

I think that HP printers that use no 61 ink are no longer be produced. My printer quit and I have been looking for a new one and cannot find a new HP printer that uses 61 ink. Just ask Staples. I am glad you told us that the Epson will not work, but was it the Eco tank? I know that other Epson printers don't work, but the Eco tank is rather new.
Hi, The eco tank will work but you must print, print, on a regular basis or the head will clog.
As Far as the HP printers some of the newest use pigment based ink it is not just the 61 tank. Check the printer you want to try and then check out the ink tank on the HP website look up the tank then click the specs tab and see if it is pigment based if so with the correct settings the printer should work for you. The printers and tanks change regularly but it is easy to check on the site if it is pigment or dye based prior to buying the machine.
Thanks, Tom White

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Tdelewis,

What brand laser printer do you use? Thanks for the info in advance
Laser Jet Pro CM1415fnw
Most people will have trouble with jams. To avoid that I sand about 1/2 inch of the parchment where you place the tape. The silicon on the parchment will make the paper pull loose as it goes through the printer. I use 320 grit to do that. I use the Prismacolor marker to coat the metal. You can get 100% of the toner on the metal. Then I use a heat gun to heat the transfer and it will be very durable. Just as heat is used to set the toner on the paper you can use heat to set it on the metal.

I think that HP printers that use 61 and 63 inks are obsolete. There might be some on Amazon that uses those inks. You just need to ask and check online stores.

mobaiz

Laser Jet Pro CM1415fnw
Most people will have trouble with jams. To avoid that I sand about 1/2 inch of the parchment where you place the tape. The silicon on the parchment will make the paper pull loose as it goes through the printer. I use 320 grit to do that. I use the Prismacolor marker to coat the metal. You can get 100% of the toner on the metal. Then I use a heat gun to heat the transfer and it will be very durable. Just as heat is used to set the toner on the paper you can use heat to set it on the metal.

I think that HP printers that use 61 and 63 inks are obsolete. There might be some on Amazon that uses those inks. You just need to ask and check online stores.
Thank you so much for your reply and the info

NancyA

I use an Epson 3830 inkjet echo tank. It uses pigment black and dye color inks. It prints on transparencies that do transfer to metal. I use plain paper, monochrome, black and white settings to print and don't have to attach the transparency to a plain sheet.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The following HP black inks are pigment based and will transfer well. HP 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, and 67 that I am aware of will all work. I recently set up a HP Deskjet 2755e with HP 67 ink and the transfer works well. Amazon has the printer at ~ $80 now marked down to ~ $50. Can be a bit of a pain to set up, needs WIFI connection but easy to use after the setup. It is a printer, scanner, copier. I use Fixxons transparency film for the transfer media, ~ $30 for 100 sheets. I only install the black ink cartridge in the printer.

Sponsors