Need Source for 3" by 5" brass plate

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I need to do a description plate for a local museum. It needs to be solid brass that I can attach to a way with something sticky ( no screws ). Seems like all I can find is brass plated aluminum.

Scottyd

Try Speedymetals. They have 260 sheet brass. Try their ebay store. If you don't see what you want on the eBay site just ask them. They will cut it for no charge.
Scott

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
If you have a hobby shop or hardware store nearby they should stock a display of K&S metals. K&S makes sheets in various thicknesses in 4x10 and 6x12 sizes.

monk

Staff member
i've found beautiful, solid brass in hardware outlets around here. they're called "door kick plates" they all usually have holes around the perimeter, but creative shearing can give some sizeable pieces with which to work. carefully inspect the edge. if a bit of silver color shows, it will have a steel core. the plates are usually 23 x 24" x .062

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Home Depot kick plates are plated aluminum. Doesn't the aluminum show through?

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Dixie Gun Works has brass plates that are 3"x 5 or 6" I picked up some up there the last time I went by there. They are very good quality and they have a couple of thicknesses.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beathard, The ones I have purchased have all been solid brass. The screw holes cause a bunch of waste though. I haven't had to buy one in couple of years though. Now I am curios and will have to check it out all over again. Fred

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
I got a big ole kick plate at a salvage place that must have been from a municipal building. It was totally grimed over so I thought it was brass. But it was a very different color from yellow brass. Could it be bronze? It cut very nicely. Any way, they will have them.

Todd

monk

Staff member
the brass plated aluminum-- aluminum will show unless you do very light cutting. solid brass is way better. go as deep as you like. in time the surface will take a patina that's very good looking. i think the plated stuff may have some sort of coating preventing the patina formation.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stopped by both Home Depot and Lowe's today to check out the kick and door knobs plate. Both carry plated in the cheap and solid in the premium plates in brass, stainless, and aluminum. Indian jewelry supply carries brass and red brass (jewelers bronze). Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors