need help with microscope issues

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I need some advice on what I should buy to replace the omana I have. Of course I don't have unlimited funds and want to get one that does a good job with more focal distance than the one I got.I keep bumping into the objective lens with my hand and am getting tired of that.I know that you guys have hashed this out many times,so I am confident that you can be helpful and give me some options without to much trouble.Thanks for the help in advance,Dave.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Dave
I have two scopes set up one at home and one in my workshop a Nikon smz 1b and an Olympus both are stereo zooms and I am using a 0.5 barlow lens as well both give approx 300mm working height under the scope and can say that I am more than happy with the quality of the optics and the nikon gives me a 50mm field of view and about the same on the olympus also on olympus I am using a 8w fluro ring light and on the nikon setup light wise I have two 15w swan neck lights that I made up from microphone swan necks £5 uk pounds on ebay and fitted 12v lamp holders ( there is a photo on chris's site in my photos under rays bits in the gallery showing the nikon) both setup all parts from ebay scopes and all for approx £200 aroud $300 for the two setup's hope this helps
Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Dave: a 0.3x objective might give you the working distance you're looking for. It's definitely greater than with a 0.5x objective. Too much for me, but maybe just right for you.

mrthe

Sam you work without the 0,5 lens true?
Dave of the problem is only the working distance,like say Sam with a 0.5 barlow lens you will resolve all yours problems.
If you want change your scope to buy one more better,it' s depend about your budget,in ebay you can find very good second hand scopes for less than 400 $ ,two weeks ago i have see a zeiss opmi 1 selled for 350$, i have loose it only because i forget bidding.
If you can go for a good used Zeiss or Leica ,the optics are greats.

BJREBUCK

I don't do the same kinds of things as most of you. For restoration work, i use a meiji emz with 20x eyepieces and a
.44 barlow. It gives me about 6" clearance. I can get my paws in there even w/ h&c. The field is rather small but i'm
usually working in very small areas.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the help, I think I will try a .4 objective lens to get me by for now but I still plan on updating the scope body and am looking for better optics too.The focus is not good when it is turned all the way up and is not clear from side to side not to mention it loses light because of the zoom.GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,

As I have a long back, I changed from the .5 objective lens to .3 objective, and I can give you the exact increase in working distance...from 6 inches to 10 inches. With that, comes a bit less magnification, but still plenty good. The new arrangement allowed me to sit vertically, yet have my work surface at elbow height, my preferred posture for work.

Rod

Last edited:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So, after some closer inspection of my scope,I noticed that there is a ring on the bottom for holding my lamp on.It was threaded in to the body and with it removed and the .5 replacing it,I got a few more inches out of it.I just put the lamp on the edge if the Barlow lens and it works better now, not perfect but I will have a little better day!!!!

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Silverchip, Glad you worked out your scope issues. If you're interested in a future upgrade the Leica is nice. It has 3 different working distances depending on the objective you choose. Without an objective it has 120mm (4.72"), with the .75 objective it has 150mm (5.9") and with the .63 it has 185mm (7.25") working distance. It also has 100% more depth of field (how much adjustment where the object is still in focus) and 80% more field of view (how wide the view is under the scope). It also is quite bright compared to other scopes and comes with a 16 LED light ring.

Aventuraal

If you can afford to wait for a good deal on it (or buy it a piece at a time), the Zeiss OPMI is one great scope. You can get final objectives out to 400 mm (about 16 inches) without the Barlow. Not a zoom, selectable magnification levels, eyepieces from 10 to 20 x. I bought mine a piece at a time on Ebay, although lately, the non-power 1's seem a bit rare. You will not be disappointed with the optics.

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
Silverchip I bought the Leica from Tira and I have to say the optics are amazing....as well as the light. I have it setup with the 4' extension arm so I can use it at both benches, engraving and stone setting....Just as she says. Awesome...
I am using the .68 barlow as I needed a little more room to get my elbow down a bit more and it works like a charm. The optics are so good that I find I am using it for other stuff at the bench too.
Rod

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Rodsta, I finally got so tired of focusing my scope that I went ahead and purchased a Leica too. I am very happy with it. It keeps everything in focus and the light is so much better than that ol ring light that I got from grs.Like a blind man that suddenly sees,I now can actually watch my tool cut and get much better results!!!!

Latest posts

Sponsors