My second elephant Bulino attempt.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My first attempt, sure it looked like an elephant as it had big ears and a proboscis, but nothing compared with this one.

My friend Chris DeCamillis, not only makes innovated tools, he is also a great teacher. Most of what I learned on Bulino comes from his DVD’s.
Besides that he made many video’s that can be watched on his website.

Recently using Skype, Chris showed me a new technique for Bulino he is working on. I was that excited about it that first thing in the morning I had to make that tool.
After a few ours, some lines, dots and dashes worked together to show an image of this elephant. So today I had to finish it in between all my other jobs.

I’m very pleased with the result, and I know I will progress much faster with this new technique than I ever did before, that thanks to Chris!

arnaud

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Very NICE!!! I too am working on Bulino and game scenes. I put some good music on and get lost in dot dot dot land :)

Donny

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
nice job Arnaud, but non-engraver eyes ( in general those of the one who pay for the job ;-) will only see 3/4 of an elephant and will "mierenneuken"... ... the "landmijn smoes" also don t work ;-)
artist eyes and customers eyes = different worlds for sure
just my humble pov
have a nice weekend
Frank

bthomas

Arnaud, that looks very well done ...the front half is particularly nicely detailed/shaded...I like it...keep going back to it to study it..that is a good sign in any piece

Bill

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnuad it looks much better than the first. You worked the head nicely. The body looks a little rushed through.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks all for looking at it. Yes the front of the elephant is less rough than the other part. However when seen live at real size, the discussion could be different.
As I think there needs to be a balance between “fine dots lines and dashes” and what the eye can see. To me when a scene is done too fragile, there is nothing to see, only at that one angle.
And as an Bulino scene is not meant to be seen on a photo only, bet mainly has to decorate some metal object, too fine will not work.

arnaud

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Not bad for bulino scenes you best use a good 10× loupe. I would say you need a lot more fine cuts just use a normal push graver. Also if you use CK45 steel will work great.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat: Looks good to me, Arnaud:thumbsup: That is one of your first attempts at bulino on such a small scale:clapping:! Groeten, Paulie:beerchug:

Sponsors