Critique Request My latest efforts..

what do you guys think? it's a scene on a 100 lire coin that's approx 22mm or .87 in in diameter and it's the first time I do something this complicated :biggrin:

lago.jpg lago1.jpg lago2.jpg lago3.jpg

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, not bad but tonally it's flat. I don't know where you live but f you can get out into some countryside and look at the landscape. If you have a partner or friend that'll go with you stand back from them and observe them in the environment. What do you see? The main focus is the person, or it should be if it's them you're looking at, isn't it? They stand out against everything else; trees, bushes, hills, etc, all fall back into a softer focus. If you think about it as you're looking it's a layering effect of foreground, middle distance, and far distance.

Your coin has none of this. The tone it's the same through near, middle and far distance so nothing stands out even though the woman is the main subject. She needs shadows and definition to punch her out from the surroundings. The next main feature is the tree so this needs to be stronger but not as strong as the woman or it will dominate. In the far distance it can gradually fade.

Bulino is not just one layer of dots and then its finished. Often it builds up over several layers so shadows darken and objects take shape.
This coin is far from unsalvageable, in fact I'd go back and work several more layers of dots over it to give it better definition in certain areas.

well done and show us again when it's finished.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice,I'll work on it next time but I think most of the flatness is due to the photo, the darke tones got grayer and the lighter tones got blacker

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not too bad for a first piece. my only negative-- to me it's a rather confusing design to my eye. by all means , continue your efforts. that's the only way to excel. i'm sure the bulino artists on this forum that are really good at this will agree. this art isn't learned overnight.

Latest posts

Sponsors