My daughter Lola's first engraved knife

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My daughter Lola, who also is one of my two students, finished this stainless steel knife. I showed her Sam’s brightcutting on the heart pendant and she really likes that style.
After practicing a bit on a practice plate, I thought it was time for her to cut a first knife.
Yes sure a way to go, but I want to show her work that could encourage other newbies to show their work.
And no matter what, for instance, the leaves that don’t touch the backbone, is something I like, it is a sort of suggestion the eye fills in.

Lola did cut this using a 120° parallel heel graver and a 2X magnification optivisor.
She made the backbone design directly on the metal using Sam's transfer wax.

arnaud

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Indeed a very nice start especially knowing it is engraved in stainless! And if the leafs don't touch the backbone we call it "Genre de Feuilles" An example; This was one of my first practice plates
A typical Belgium style.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks all; this is a nice encouragement for my daughter I told her to keep the knife so she can compare it to see her progress so she gave the knife to her boyfriend.
Bram that is a nice pattern you show here. That this style is Belgium and has a name is the sort of information I like a lot.
Axeman, my daughter already has all those kind of shots; she does horse riding as well so sure tetanus was on the list. My daughter is over 25 years, can’t tell the exact age because that is not done by woman.
But I wonder why we would need that when engraving?
Thanks Scott for the encouraging words, that really helps her progressing.
arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Bravo for your daughter's engraving, Arnaud! I can tell you that it's better than my first engraved knife. Flare cutting is certainly one of the more difficult styles as it requires more graver control, and she handled it well. :thumbsup:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Indeed a very nice start especially knowing it is engraved in stainless! And if the leafs don't touch the backbone we call it "Genre de Feuilles" An example; This was one of my first practice plates
A typical Belgium style.

Very interesting. How old is the practice plate? Arnaud I think your daughter did a great job since it is her first knife. What kind of work does she do now? If she is not in the jewellery business now, will she do it later?

Lola

My dad told me I should register here on the forum so here I am ;) Thanks everybody for your comments on my work!

The "Genre de Feuilles" by Bram Ramon is a very nice style, one I'm gonna try in the future, thanks for that information :)
Haraga.com; I'm also trying out the jewellery business and have made several (engraved) bracelets, rings, earrings,... I'm not doing it for a very long time yet so I still have to learn a lot, but it's really fun doing it and the whole process of creating relaxes me a lot in my head!

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat: Arnaud, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree:thumbsup: Your daughter's first knife looks fine! I think (flare cut?) is a difficult technique for a beginner, and that in stainless:confused: Greetings, Paulie

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:Welcome to the Cafe, Lola! My congratulations for your first efforts:thumbsup: Groeten, Paulie

Latest posts

Sponsors