Most users ever online was 1983, 03-20-2012 at 07:18 PM?

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,
"Users" doesn't mean "Members." There are well over 100 search engines worldwide that send out bots to catalog information. The largest percentage of those "users" were bots following members as they read the various threads.

As I write this, there are 6 members and 18 guests online. Those 18 guests are search engine bots.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I contacted my hosting company that day. I suspected some crazy cyber attack or something. They said they were all legitimate connections. It does happen occasionally, and yes, bots are constantly indexing the site.

Sam

Staff member
One time I posted a Cafe link on a watch forum of an engraved watch Marcus Hunt engraved. We had a similar response.

Sam

Staff member
Yep. It was just a regular day in the Cafe. No arguing over hand sharpening vs fixture, handpiece brands, or anything controversial.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,
Now you know why anything posted on the internet NEVER disappears, even if you delete it. Not only do those bots catalogue everything, they make mirrors of it on their own servers for faster recovery should anyone search for it. The mirrors are then backed up for redundancy and the backups are archived. Both Big Brother and the KGB are watching you.

I have a feature on my forum software that allows me to choose which bots to allow, or disallow them all. I chose the latter, but then my forum doesn't show up in the upper echelons of search engines either.

Sam

Staff member
Brian,
Now you know why anything posted on the internet NEVER disappears, even if you delete it. Not only do those bots catalogue everything, they make mirrors of it on their own servers for faster recovery should anyone search for it. The mirrors are then backed up for redundancy and the backups are archived. Both Big Brother and the KGB are watching you.

I have a feature on my forum software that allows me to choose which bots to allow, or disallow them all. I chose the latter, but then my forum doesn't show up in the upper echelons of search engines either.

The .htaccess file can limit bots per your instructions. I don't have any disallowed.

What's the URL of your forum?

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What's the URL of your forum?

Sam,
You wouldn't see anything as I took it private when I moved it to my domain. It started as a mailing list on Listserv way back in 1995 and had 2500 subscribers with 200 -400 emails per day. I always tried to keep it a free site with no advertising and it ended up as a Yahoo list. This was before the advent of forum software. When that came around, several members started their own special interest forums because mine was too general. I turned the Yahoo list over to another. Today, my forum consists of 45 of the original members who became close friends and still keep in touch via it. We still have an annual event, similar to the Engrave-Ins, where some of us get together every year for a weekend of shooting and fellowship. It is a general muzzleloading forum.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Well, about bots. Sure you can say which bots to allow and which not, but only the good ones respect that setting. THe ones that want will still index everything, despite the settings. Unless of course it is members only forum, which requires you to log in.

I always thought "18 guests online" meant that these are non-logged in users (random people from internets) and maybe just some bots. Bots usually don't visit the sites that often...

Sam

Staff member
Viljo: Some are guests (people) and some are bots (borg). Some bots seem to live here and constantly index the site while others come and go. I really don't pay much attention to them. :)

Sponsors