More Fun With Letters

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
One of my previous Threads was titled "Fun With Ciphers." This time I wanted to show the kind of thing I really like to do! This brass trophy plate is about 1 1/2" X 5" in size and was to be mounted on a very nice shadow box that displays 20 silver and gold wild game coins.

I could have simply cut some letters, but like Sam, I can't stand it - plain old lettering just won't do!:chip:

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew - that's 'cause I'm an Olde Worlde engraver !! Really, I get involved in these kinds of excersises and I'm a Nimschke wanna-be!

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's wonderful! Would love to see an enlargement of that! Mike your work is exquisite! Just wondering were you self taught or did you have formal training?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a grand slam lettering job, Mike! That is super nice. Not many engravers who can design and cut something of that caliber. Bravo!! :clapping:
~Sam

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
To respond to a few questions:

The gravers I used on this plate were the 120 UPP, the Speitzer, and a 1mm Wriggle. I always lay out with pencil over Chinese White, then after the letters are cut, I add the embellishment using the remaining open space.

I learned to engrave letters and inscriptions in the jewelry business - there was no time to waste and no computers to generate transfers. Years and experience provided vision for spacing and layout, so I learned to do it that way or go broke! Having said that, I have recently experimented with computers and transfers to check my work. I've discovered that I could improve my alignment and centering - and actually speed the time required for layout by using the computer and transfers. I'm just too Olde Worlde to do it! I encourage students to use the computer to generate tansfers to lay out lines of inscription like this.

An enlarged view of this can be seen at http://www.engravingtransfers.com/mikesplate.html

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the link to the enlargement! It sparkles with all the embellishments! The smaller photo didn't do it justice. The larger shot really brings out the total beauty in this piece.

Eddi

Elite Cafe Member
Fantastic work!
I can learn from this. There is no demand for scroll work here in Iceland, but lettering is all I do. I hope to get to this level some day.
Thank you very much for sharing.

Eddi

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'd like it even more if you would send it to me ! honest, i'll send it back someday

Hi Mike, You may remember talking to me at the colt collectors show in Oklahoma 2011 Hope you can make it this year in Norman. I missed Colorado last year. You were kind enough to give me some of your time at the show as I was just starting to engrave at that time. I am now many guns and much jewelry ahead of the game and getting better every job. Thanks again for all the help and the post are wonderful. Nimschke's book is my most used of all engraving books for insiration! Just keeping the tradition! Best Reguards! Randy Jones of Randolfengraving.

Latest posts

Sponsors