More eyes upon you

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Since I've been on a kick using eyes my wandering brought this design idea to fruition. Reclaimed piano key ivory and silver. I was thinking nature with this one encompassing a tree, a cat and a human. A hunter vs the hunted and how that role can reverse. Funny how the tree turned into the green man type character I see in wood carving.
As always comments and critiques are welcomed, enjoy.
Mark

Attachments

• 20120423_35.jpg
    20120423_35.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 163

Jesse Kaufman

Mark- Great work. I wish I had your gift of ideas! I just can't seem to get the ball rolling. But I'll keep looking ahead. How do you hold something like that to be able to engrave it? Anyway, nice work, I always enjoy your threads. Jesse

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Jesse
I saw out the form, pierce the areas for the ivory, form and solder on a bezel ring on the back for each piece of ivory. While it is flat I sink it into a pitch bowl to hold it, when done engraving I chuck it in the freezer for a while. Once the pitch has contracted from the silver it pops out fairly easy if not it can be heated and removed then cleaned in alcohol. Then the silver is formed and the ivory inset...... project done. simple. lol
Mark

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your are on a roll here, Mark!

Very good! The basic design is unique and attractive, and I like its asymmetry, to which we are all subconsciously drawn. Is it true, they say if you take one half of our face and mirror it in Photoshop, we look different, and only then do we realize few of us are symmetrical ... must try it!

If I am allowed my two cents, I would like to see a bit deeper 'beauty cut' separating more the various leaf elements, presently there are a lot of shading lines presenting a potential for a freeway intersection traffic jam. Just coming in a bit bolder to define those nice individual leaves?

In the photos below, as a test, my composite two left halves make a thinner man, and believe me that could be appealing? One the other hand, I don't know if I like having those four hands!

By the way, the antique whale tooth from B C was scrimmed with my favourite piper from the 18th century, by that crusty, yet generous and good hearted colleague Coincutter, as a gift. I see Steve has started posting again!

Keep 'em coming, buddy!

Rod

Attachments

• rod tusk.jpg
    rod tusk.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 135
  • rod mirror.jpg
    rod mirror.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Rod you are absolutely correct, a bit of oversight on my part and not watching the whole thing. I see a few other areas of concern once I step back, oh well off to more traditional things in the future until the urge strikes again. Always love your take on things my friend and I must agree the four hands would make things complicated for a week until you got used to them.

Thanks Roger, I'm back to normal now, lol.
Mark

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark, Another winner. I agree with Rod that a bit more separation between elements would work well.

Rod, On your composite picture. I notice your hair line seems to be a reflection of over engraving. Not thinning hair but scroll or a handlebar mustache hair style curls
Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors