Question: Monogram query

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all,

In drawing personal monograms I understand the reason behind having the initial for the last name in the middle when it is made larger ie in an oval shape. In this case the emphasis in on the surname as an "identifier". What happens when in a business name the emphasis is on the first word - should that initial then be placed in the middle? For instance "Norwood Football Club".
The identity emphasis should be on "Norwood" not "Club". If that is the case how does one know whether they are reading the monogram correctly?

Thanks in advance,
Roger

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If I were designing it I would do it as: FNC

I would also make the customer aware of it first.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i guess i'm old school. i think a monogram is for a person. the corporate stuff i call logos. it's obvious to most, that the only rule governing corporate logos-- if the company likes your design, it's a done deal. though most companies want a pleasant look, as well as a design that's easy to read. just look around where you live--- good as well as lousy logo design most everywhere.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The traditional way is to have the surname initial in the middle of a monogram. But times do change and customers often want or even expect it to read normally e.g. ABC as opposed to ACB. Gunstock ovals have monograms of straight initials unless otherwise requested. Best check with the customer if in doubt.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
In the above case, I would probably suggest all letters the same height, and the logo of the club either above or below it.

But what if the desired logo was the three initials?

I think that I would follow the suggestion to make up a number of designs and let the client choose.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Roger

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
When I have a customer come in and talk to me about having a Monogram designed I try to convince them to go with the layout that has lasted for centuries and once I show them some of the Monogram designs in my Reference books such as berlingers. They are usually in agreement with the first , last , Middle. However every once and a while some one comes in and has a Name that does not fit this Layout. I then turn to the customer and suggest that I do a few designs and give them a opportunity to choose what they woud be happy with. Case to point. I just designed a Monogram where the persons last name was Baldwin - Granger. Here is a picture of the designs I came up with for them to choose from.

Attachments

• Baldwin-Granger Ring 2.jpg
    Baldwin-Granger Ring 2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not being a total grump-- i show what i feel is a proper, as well as a traditional design concept. if people want otherwise, hey-- i'll take your money and do it the "wrong" way. most people are willing to trust artistic judgement on my part. either way, i never do anything, esp for a first-time-client, without giving drawings or a visible design to consider. the only exception is work i do for folks or companies familiar with my work. i hate doing such, but always keep this design work, etc in my computer. that way nobody can come back and complain if they end up being unhappy later.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
All the advise above works to your advantage in the the long run...In the book "Art Monograms & Lettering" by J.M. Bergling, is the only reference I have found to Commercial Monograms on pg. 33 ...even has "Co" in a few examples...

Donny

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Company monograms have been around for a hundred years. Just look at old billheads and stationery for examples. Here are a couple:

Sponsors