Monogram for my nephew

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just something bold and crisp on his new Krieghoff K80 Pro-Sporter, in gold & platinum.

Attachments

• DSCN1576.jpg
    DSCN1576.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 280

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That is flawlessly perfect and wonderful. Great 3D effect!! Was the platinum cooperative for inlay?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Man, that just POPS out at you! Super clean execution. By the way, is the black an inlay or is it background removal?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hmmm, that's weird. i posted a 'thanks' and a few answers to questions earlier today and now it's gone. if it doesn't reappear by tomorrow i'll try again...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
well i guess my first reply has been lost in cyberspace- better luck with this one...

first, thanks to all for your kind comments!

Sam- i use pure platinum from Hoover & Strong, as opposed to 90/10 or 95/5 jeweler's alloys. it works about like 23.5kt(?) gold, but is not quite as forgiving. i'm more careful about matching the size of wire or sheet to the cavity as platinum isn't virtually infinitely ductile like 24kt.

Mark- the shadows are just lots of medium fine parallel lines cut with a 90 sq. sharpened on a 600 grit wheel- no polish.

using shadows to add depth & interest involves some planning. the style i used here requires treating the letters as if they have a definite thickness, which means they can't be woven over & under each other- it would ruin the 3D effect. another method would be to treat the letters like flat ribbons, which would allow weaving the elements together, then using 'drop shadows'. instead of the shadows being connected to the figures, drop shadows are detached, offset silhouettes which create an interesting floating effect. both styles have their charms.

Latest posts

Sponsors