money plate progress,,,

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all... Here are a few progress pic's of some work I've been doing. Trying real hard on my inlaying and shading. I'm thinking about doing a bulino scene in the middle but don't know if I'm up to it... This piece was cut w a 96 degree graver.

Any critique or comments are much needed and appreciated...

Attachments

• PLATE.jpg
    PLATE.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 272
  • plate close up.jpg
    plate close up.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 239

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jeff

That's beautiful work.

What do you mean, you' don't know if you're up for a bulino scene???

Of course you are!!!

You have to start somewhere and now is as good as time as any. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
I think, this will gonna be my favorite piece of the works, i have seen from you.
Good design (for me with a breeze of Asiatic touch, don't no why ;) ), neat cut.
I am looking forward, Jeff! Hope you add a scene on it!
Mario

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks realy nice Jeff, beautiful design, and nice shading.
I have been watching Chris Bulino DVD almost daily, prepared a C-Max, so I think I’m ready to do a real Bulino scene, so sure you are ready for it too.
Looking forward to see its progress.

arnaud

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
As said above - very, very nice. I like the addition of the checker boarding (there must be a better name for it when part of such a nice piece), it refreshes the eye.

May I ask what are dimensions of the plate and how it is mounted as you cut?

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lovely work Jeff. There is something very reminiscent of the Art Nouveau style with your scrollwork; the use of gold and the chequer pattern give me a flavour of this even though it's not strictly art nouveau. So if it were me, I'd be tempted to think along those lines for the scene.

Judging by your graver control, I think you should give it a go. But if you're not quite confident yet (and I can understand your not wanting to mess this lovely piece up), do a little practice piece of bulino and show us first. Have you posted any photos of your bulino/scene work yet? Like Andrew says, we all have to start somewhere.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As said above - very, very nice. I like the addition of the checker boarding (there must be a better name for it when part of such a nice piece), it refreshes the eye.

The checkerboarding reminds me of Ron Smith's beadwork he did on a 73 a couple years back, nice work.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Barry and Jeff.
The checkerboard reminds me of the work of Jim Small.
Jim's is often done on the bias with the dot done as a tiny gold dome.
Fine piece of work, Jeff wonderful shading.

JIA

Elite Cafe Member
I think its time for jetta to start producing peices to sell and stop practicing

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys... Lots of good info, I love these forums...

Andrew, your right, like NIKE says (just do it)...

Here's another pic for relating size, the plat is 2'' x 3'', here is also the one and only bulino scene I've done which is'nt really a scene just a tiger's head.

Chris Malouf suggested I try a banknote style scene and I think that would be appropriate for this plate.

Pilks, I knew you'd get mad at me for another plate and I am saving for a knife or two. It's hard when you don't have a name for yourself yet. I am hoping to drum up customers surely but slowly...

I should add that the pic w the tiger and english scrolls was done w the help of J. Fava. The english scrolls or completely his and he got me started on the tiger.

Attachments

• IMG_1445.jpg
    IMG_1445.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 95

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
weather you do a scene or lettering this will make a fine sample piece at a top end sporting goods dealers show case or that in a jewelry store-fine work- fred

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jeff

Nike is right................just do it. Back yourself, pour your heart into it, take your time with it and go for it.............thinking and talking about it dosn't get the work done or further your skills.

Fortune favours the bold :)

Cheers
Andrew

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the whole thing but especially the border, it's different, very neatly cut and compliments the scroll work. I like the look of flowing lines against geometric shapes it balances in my mind somehow.

My name, gold inlaid in the center in Floral script would look really nice...

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very handsome Jeff. I really like the design.

I'll leave suggestions to my betters.
Kevin P.

Sponsors