Question: Milligrain Tools.... ???

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
I'm looking at these milligrain tools for doin some nickels etc.......

Question....How hard of material will these be effective in.
Aluminum...??
Mild steel............??

Any other info you can provide, will be greatly appreciated..... :)

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
They will be fine for using on Nickles, I use them all the time on gold platinum silver etc. I would not use on steel. If you use with power/air the rivets can break. I use it this way with air power and if I get two rings out of the tool I am happy. I also order them by the dozen I recommend using a number 12 or a 13 and make sure it's the French tool. They are $$ for one that's why I get 12 or more.

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
When the rivets break I take a sewing needle and temper it blue. Being tapered the needle makes and excellent rivet of high quality steel. Simply rivet, snip and grind down to replace and it will be as strong as factory rivets. Then when the rivet hole gives out take a jewelers saw along with a narrow flat graver to assist in clean up, cut a new groove and drill a new hole, again one more life. A single tool will last many years with this approach. Just be carefull when closing the rivet not to make it so tight the wheel can't turn.

Last edited:

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Stuller, Rio Grande, Gesswein, most suppliers carry the French ones. Beware that in the future when you order replacement tools the sizes tend to be all over the place. A #10 can occasionally be like a #12 or a #12 like a #15. Another reason to recycle these is to maintain a full variety of sizes. Otherwise your new tool may be like a tool you already have but with a different number. Not being able to refurbish these tools could leave you without the size your really want even though you just ordered a replacement.

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
You roll on the edge you want to put beads/tooling on. It works best to cut a line with a graver. So the tool has something to follow like a track. I am sure you could YouTube it.

Jake

Latest posts

Sponsors