Question: metal clay

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Anyone use metal clay in there work? If so what's your thoughts on it. It seems like it would be useful but almost like (cheating ) in my opinion.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Its just hard for me to take it serious. Seems like something you would give a child to play with and make costume jewelry out of. Just my opinion.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's fun stuff but it has it's limitations.
1) It shrinks when you fire it.
2) The resulting metal is a bit soft and porous.

I think you could use it for some interesting effects, but it would take some practice and from what I've seen from the jewelers here I think you can do pretty much the same stuff with regular methods and get better results.

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
I must be very popular as a large section of Rio Grande's catalog is dedicated to it. While the material may be pricey, you don't need to invest much in tools to get started.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Lol. Brian. Think I agree . Guess we are just old school. Just seems like it would lack the quality ( soul ) that the old fashion way gives

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, after renovating the kitchen, bathroom and entryway I would enjoy that porous shrinking overpriced crap.
And luckily I don't have many neighbors.

Last edited:

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
A few years ago I made several pieces with PMC just to try it out, its easy to use, but I don't think that I'd ever try to replace my lost wax casting with it. The results were ok but not great, I did have better luck with the bronze clay over the silver, but a bit of burnishing can help.

Latest posts

Sponsors