Meiji magnification

will

I just bought a meiji microscope without eye pieces, I believe they are called ocular lenses. My question is what magnification do I want? The large lense on the bottom has 2 posisitions 1x and .5x. So I would assume if I had 5x eyepieces I would have 5x and 2.5x magnification, correct? I bought the emx 1 model because it has about 10 or 12 inches between the work and the lense. Sounded good to me, having a little room to work. I guess I should have asked for advise on that issue before I purchased also. Opinion there would be appreciated also.

Thanks guys.
WILL

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The Meiji EMZ-5 is the proper bench microscope. Sorry I don't know anything about the emx 1, but the standard eyepieces for bench use are 10x.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm just guessing, but most of my scope use was at about 20x or less. my leica is continuously variable, so no real way to know the power.

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
My Meiji EMZ-5 Uses 10X eyepieces and a 0,5 Barlow lens. That´s also what my other microscope uses..

I dont know the EMX-1 very well, but I´m not sure if it´s well suited for engraving. It does not have any zoom from what I can see.. so if you buy 5x eyepieces you get 5x zoom, and if you get 10 x eyepieces..

But that´s where you will be.. no zooming in or out, only adjust the sharpness at the eyepieces.

I would try to sell it and look for something more suitable for engraving.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
As engraverHand says....

Paired Objectives: 0.5X, 1X
Magnification: 5X, 10X (with 10X eyepieces) and 7,5x and 15x (with 15x eyepieces)

I had a simular scope without zoom before. It was okey to use for engraving, but I bought many different eyepieces (5x, 10x, 15x and 20x). My scope had only 1x barlow lence though :)

Jørn-Ove

Latest posts

Sponsors