Mega engraving ball

mthxx

I made this ball based on Letourneau's block but it is wider and shorter to make it less top heavy when used with tall jaws.
It weighs 60 lbs and is 8" in diameter. Solid stainless steel construction. I used my cnc water jet to do most of the work, I even made a radius cutter for my engine lathe to turn the large ball. Most fun I've had in a while. I plan to make more.
mthxx@yahoo.com
Welcome and thoughts and criticism.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 350
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 340

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful Job! I was planning on making a new set of jaws for my mega block for the same purpose. There was one listed in the for sale section of one of the forums (here I believe) someone had listed for their dad. Was designed for bit and spur work. They Wanted $500 if I recall correctly and I just did not have the money to spare at the time. I want one.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like it.
The Jaws are too short on all of the commercial vises I have seen. A hangover from jewelry engraving I guess.
Yours looks good.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At first I was wondering why you made such a lovely vise with the nice low profile so your work could tilt without getting out of the plane of focus and then put those, tall, tall jaws on it. :confused:

Then I looked at the second picture. :eek:

Boy that looks like a much better way to work on spurs than anything else I can think of! :thumbsup:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Basically the same way...

Kickin' 'em in the flanks - versus pokin' 'em with sharp things in the flanks - to go forward.

Pulling on a horsehair/rawhide mecate(rope) straight back - versus using the leverage between the bit mouthpiece and a curb strap - for brakes .

B.

Last edited:

mthxx

I'm thinking about making independent jaws, instead of self centering jaws, same principle as lathe chucks. You could then off set your work to keep your engraving centered. Basically each jaw would operate seperatly.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not to diminish your wonderful machining. This may be a dumb question, but why are the bits fully assembled before engraving? Couldn't you engrave the cheek pieces in a "normal" vise and then assemble them?

mthxx

Sometimes you can engrave prior to assembly and sometimes not. Loose cheek spade bits and half breed bits can usually be engraved before you attach the mouthpiece but solid jaw bits have a considerable amount of welding to join the mouthpiece to the shanks, so this makes it impossible to mount and engrave before welding.

Latest posts

Sponsors