Maybe not to bad idea

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
vanknife,

If you were to run the powercord up to the ceiling this would be a great setup for long rifles and shotguns....

Donny

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I believe many of us think of this when we first get started using a scope. I decided to use an off the shelf stand after considering the leveraged weight caused by articulation, something I think is important. The overhead frame would need to be very strong so it would be very heavy or very expensive. I was going to wait until need made the investment worthwhile, however I am very interested. Scope stands used by surgeons have very long arms but look like they would take up a great deal of space.

Bob

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ed Webber, the gunmaker extraordinaire, has his microscope hanging from the ceiling. it's in a corner of his shop over a massive concrete-filled vise pedestal. Lynton McKenzie got him using a scope years ago for ultra-fine fitting of parts, etc.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thinking outside of the box is good, notwithstanding Barry's good advice to ask "what box?", oftentimes good improvements are right in our face, or in this case, hanging from the ceiling. My thought is that it is a tuning fork that can be set into motion with the tiniest accidental tap leading to a shaky image. The man who built and uses this could give us a direct answer? My reservation in the arrangement would easily be overcome by the ceiling mount not being one thin rod, but indeed a thin tripod. You get the good arrangemant, bench free, and also it is a lot stiffer?

Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors