/m bracelet

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn,

You are quite the prolific engraver, really cranking them out with great tool control, shading, and varying designs, well done, as ever!

Offering a little critique here, whereas it can be interesting to have a design intrude over the border to infer the design has a three dimensional property, Lee Griffiths, treats this well in his Book/DVD, this present design of your is 'bustin' out all over', as the song says, rendering a question mark as to why the smaller border exists in the first place? You have fifteen elements stepping over the line on this one. Less is more?

One other minor point that catches my eye on a number of your good designs, is that some leaf elements shoot out in almost straight lines, for example in the middle of this first half of the bracelet. For my eye, I would like to see just enough of a curve, inflecting on the assumed curve of the underlying and hidden scroll, on all of the leaf elements, to establish that they are not straight trajectories.

Others may not agree with me?

Rock on!

Rod

Last edited:

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
rod
some time back another member commented on the breaking out of the border rule.
so yes i have done this before.......the real funny thing is that the customer asked that this bracelet have the design breaking the border.(he said go crazy with it).....so i went crazy with it.
i understand that a large percent of the engravers dont like to break the borders, but as my luck would have it i have some customers that like that type of look.

i am working....trying to retain everyones advice.

i really do like the fact that you are trying to help me improve my engraving.
THANK YOU!

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn,

Thanks for your good reply, and I do agree, the customer is almost always right!. Progess on this piece is looking very good!

Right now I am working on a piccolo and it has a very tiny silver key, which I have flare cut and gilded. My flute customers are wrong in that they think, it is a tiny instrument, so should not cost much ... like a tiny Swiss watch? The piccolos are more work than the bigger flutes. They are also a big screechy, but now and again orchestras need to have screech or two.

Are coming to Reno, or do you go to Elko?

best

Rod

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to chime in on the over the border thingy. I know that in design class we are all taught that borders should be violated only with care and that it is easy to go too far, but I think that while that is a good general rule, that rules are meant to be broken if done tastefully, and this one definitely is! Great look. It's as if the scrollwork outgrew the confines of the border and will have to be watched or it will crawl up your arm!

Latest posts

Sponsors