Question: Looking to decipher watch engraving from 1890

ebrea

Good afternoon,

I have a Waltham pocket watch that has been handed down 3 generations. Family lore says that it was a gift to my great great grandmother from my great great grandfather Joseph in celebration of their wedding. It is engraved legibly "January 21, 1890." I have tried to decipher the rest of the engraving and all I can come up with is Joe to ____. Her name was Louise and he used to call her Luella. But this looks like Paula. I don't know much about the way things were engraved at the turn of the century so I was hoping someone might be able to help me. I have included some photos. IMAG0212.jpg Back2.jpg

ebrea

Hi Sam, thank you. That is the best picture I could take even holding my breath. I agree, the watch is just breath-taking. Thanks, again.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not a "p". guaranteed that is an "l". just a great & lovely object. if the back is ever opened, you'll likely see some tiny numbers & initials. such is the initials & date every time it was worked on. the initials are by the watchmaker that did the work.

ebrea

LOL that is my MOM's foot! I did not even notice that. I was sitting on her bed taking the photo with my phone in my hand. Next time, I guess I better check the background! :)

What happened to your fifth toe?
Just being a smartass awesome piece!

Carlos De La O III