Question: looking for apprenticeship

york7238

Was wondering if anyone knew of a master graver in the west Georgia area that would be willing to offer an apprenticeship im stationed in germany now but will be headed back to GA around the end of the year
Thanks

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am in Albany GA and would be happy to let you come see what is happening around her. Share some tools and provide some guidance. Fred

york7238

Thanks ill be sure to hit you up when I get back, IM trying to get all the equipment together ill need to start

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks ill be sure to hit you up when I get back, IM trying to get all the equipment together ill need to start

York,

Best you visit with Fred before you buy any tools or equipment. He can give you good advise on what you will need and you can try out his tools. Many people who want to get into hand engraving buy a bunch of tools then end up taking a class or visiting a pro and find out they have wasted some of their money.

Also while you are in Germany try to visit the engraving school known as Berufsfachschule Büchsenmacher Suhl in Thuringa. The master is Andreas Amthor. A brief visit can give you an idea as to the tools and techniques used. It helps if you can speak some German there.

RB

york7238

Thanks so much for the info Thuringa is about 2 1/2 hours away ill be sure to check it out, also would you happen to know the name of the famous engraving school in Italy, Was doing some research about the Gunmakers and Engravers school in Suhl and was wondering if you know how long the program is.

Last edited:

york7238

Was doing some research about the Gunmakers and Engravers school in Suhl and was wondering if you know how long the program is.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks so much for the info Thuringa is about 2 1/2 hours away ill be sure to check it out, also would you happen to know the name of the famous engraving school in Italy, Was doing some research about the Gunmakers and Engravers school in Suhl and was wondering if you know how long the program is.

The school in Italy is called Bottega Cesere Giovanelli and is located in Gardone, V.T. Brescia. The master instructor is Dario Cortini. He speaks English.

I believe the school in Suhl is four years but it is like a high school vocational school. I don't know if they take adult students. Sebastian Leyh on this forum graduated from there and can tell you more if you send him a PM.

There is an engraving school in Styer, Austria (HTL Styer) and Martin Strolz, on this forum, is the master. You must be very fluent in German for that one. There is also HTBLVA Ferlach in Austria. I have known people who went there who were not fluent in German. The best school in Europe for gun engraving may be Leon Mignon in Liege, Belgium. Kurt Horvath went there for four years and did not speak French the first three. Bram Ramon on this forum is a student there and can tell you more if you are interested.

RB

Latest posts

Sponsors